• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Still bogging under load. UPDATE!!

1970mule

Bronco Guru
So, I have had a few threads and you guys have given good info tht I looked into. So I have a EFI 302. and it idles well still but when I try to drive it, it bogs and runs bad like it will die after a few hundred feet. So I looked at the plugs and wires all changed, fuel regulator changed, changed fuel filters, checked fuel pumps, changed tfi module on dizzy. I am at a loss I don't know what it could be.

Last edited:
OP
OP
1970mule

1970mule

Bronco Guru
sorry, I got a fuel pressure gauge. Isle its about 34 with accelerating it about 35 never above that

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I'm not a efi expert. I think you need over 40 psi. I would unplug the vacuum hose from the pressure regulator plug it and see if the pressure goes up. Good luck

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
What EFI are you running? T-body or Ford based? Explorer or stang? What injectors?

Tim

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
I’m going to throw this out there . I did a EFI Explorer swap last spring. Aero tank Stock fuel pump. When I bolted the pump in the tank it sat on the bottom. The truck would run and run and run pretty good with a C4 in it. I recently went to a AX15 and when I pushed on the RPMS it would fall on its face . End of story I shortened the fuel pump and got it off of the bottom of the tank . Just something to consider.

OP
OP
1970mule

1970mule

Bronco Guru
hey thanks for all the responses.
I should have said I am running a frankenstined 93 mustang efi, with 19lb injectors. I have inline pumps low and high.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I am running a frankenstined 93 mustang efi, with 19lb injectors. I have inline pumps low and high.

Accumulator?

Have you tried running just the HP pump?

I've got a stock tank and E2000 HP pump. Runs great.

Tim

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is there anything in your other thread you think it would be helpful to know here? It seems like it would be, if this have been discussed before.
If it was a thread you started, as opposed to one with other parallel discussions in it, maybe you should revive that one instead of starting a new one so we can all know what's already been discussed and what you've done so far.

Maybe that's not as important as I'm making it out to be, now that we've started another discussion, but it comes up a lot like this and a lot gets left off the table because it's in another thread and you end up starting over on some subjects.
Just a thought anyway.

When was your conversion done, and has it ever run correctly?

Regarding fuel pressure though, that is low. Not only that, but it's not supposed to go down when you accelerate. It's supposed to go up. I think the range is 35 to 39, with some engine combos running better on 40-42, but the factory setting was 39 if I'm remembering correctly.
So you may not only have a low pressure issue going on, but low volume as well.

You say you replaced the pressure regulator though? How much ethanol in the gas in your area?
Your low pressure pump may be failing and your high-pressure pump can't pull through well enough.
You could have a blockage somewhere.
Your high pressure pump could be failing.
Your pickup could be too low, as was described.
Your pressure regulator could be failing or faulty.
What is your vacuum source for the regulator? When you pull the hose off does the engine change idle and you can feel a strong vacuum signal through it?
If you have an accumulator, it might be causing some trouble now. Not sure how, other than blockage and such.
You may have a tiny pinhole leak that's allowing air into the system.

And remember, "new" no longer means "good" so does not mean you can ignore that part because you already replaced it. Many a hair has been pulled because a new part was worse than the old one it replaced and was ignored as a possible culprit simply because it was new.

Unless you have some reason to think you need it more than not, I would start by simplifying your fuel system and go to a 1-pump setup.
Make sure the in-tank pickup (what tank?) is correct, replace any older lines, tighten all clamps, and if you see even a hint of fuel around a line somewhere, investigate. It's no longer like a carburetor that can put up with that stuff for a longer period. EFI tends to take everything personally and let you know about it!

Good luck.

Paul

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
"new" no longer means "good"

DirtDonk you should get that printed on t-shirts and bumper stickers!

My new fuel pressure regulator was junk from the moment I put it on. Used Ford one from a junkyard 25 year old truck worked better and did not leak!

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
mule, back to basics buddy, you need to follow a simple EFI problem check list like this:

Fuel pressure, then flow volume, then pressure at right time.

OP
OP
1970mule

1970mule

Bronco Guru
I wil try to answer all question.
I do not have an accumulator.
I guess I put in the EFI 7-8 years ago, and it always ran great since it was in. First time I had this problem.
I get gas that says it is up t o 10% ethanol.
I will need to check the vacuum source. I have the vacuum from the upper intake, one of the nipples.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, the engine vacuum opens and closes the regulator. If you unhook the vacuum hose you should see full pressure because the regulator should be closed. Plug the vacuum hose if you drive with the hose off. Good luck

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Hi, the engine vacuum opens and closes the regulator. If you unhook the vacuum hose you should see full pressure because the regulator should be closed. Plug the vacuum hose if you drive with the hose off. Good luck

Correct. Check fuel pressure only when the vacuum hose is not connected to the regulator.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Are you watching the fuel pressure as the engine bogs?
You can have a weak pump, clogged filter, pinched line, etc. that can have enough fuel for idle or light load but not provide fuel under load.

IF the fuel pressure is good, unplug the MAF and go for a drive. IF it is sending a bad signal you can have issues. Unplugging it will throw it into a limp mode and ignor the signal. It will have drivability issues, but not that bad and you should be able to tell if it will run under load better or not.

I still suspect fuel deliver issues.

OP
OP
1970mule

1970mule

Bronco Guru
Ok thx fellas, so I checked there is vacuum pressure. And I found a leak in the line at the pump area. So I will replace that, could that been the prob.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How big was the leak?
While it's possible as we've said, for air getting in to disrupt the delivery of fuel, there's not way to tell if that was causing any of your issue until you try it.
But the good news is that it's a problem that needs to be fixed no matter what. So if it cures your problem, fantastic! If it doesn't, well, at least it needed fixing anyway.

Crossing fingers it's that simple. We can hope anyway.

Paul

OP
OP
1970mule

1970mule

Bronco Guru
So, I finally got it running well. After changing fuel filters, fuel pressure regulator, spark plugs, sparkplug wires, cap and rotor, Cleaned MAF sensor, cleaned IAC, checked cylinder compression each around 120, checked timing with tool and gun making sure it was TDC. SO I then checked what I saw before but ignored "I'm dumb" I check the #4 plug and it seemed as if it was not firing. so I ran it till it got hot took a spay bottle and sprayed all header tubes from the block. All bubbled immediately except #4. So since I checked compression and check plugs and wire I said maybe an bad injector. SO I took of the upper intake and there the lil SOB was. the plug came off the injector looks like it got cracked. anyway repaired it and ran like a champ. dammit well at least I got a full tune up out of it. HAHA. Thanks for all the help

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
tune ups are good!
Glad you found it. And thanks for keeping us updated.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
So, I finally got it running well. After changing fuel filters, fuel pressure regulator, spark plugs, sparkplug wires, cap and rotor, Cleaned MAF sensor, cleaned IAC, checked cylinder compression each around 120, checked timing with tool and gun making sure it was TDC. SO I then checked what I saw before but ignored "I'm dumb" I check the #4 plug and it seemed as if it was not firing. so I ran it till it got hot took a spay bottle and sprayed all header tubes from the block. All bubbled immediately except #4. So since I checked compression and check plugs and wire I said maybe an bad injector. SO I took of the upper intake and there the lil SOB was. the plug came off the injector looks like it got cracked. anyway repaired it and ran like a champ. dammit well at least I got a full tune up out of it. HAHA. Thanks for all the help

LOL, always something.. Glad you got err working