• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock Frame, How much lift and what axles to fit 40" BOGGERS?

Grunt1058

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Land of Entrapment
Hey guys... I've got a stock frame that's in really good shape sitting on it's side in my garage. I'd like to have it blasted and painted and start collecting parts to build UP my Bronco. Right now, I'm on a crappy frame and crappy lift but, I'm clearing 35s with an OLD Duffs 3.5" suspension lift and 3" BL. I'm planning on a Sterling 10.25 rear and D60 front to turn some 40" Boggers. How much lift am I going to need to clear them. I'm OK with cutting the fenders since I'll be adding gorilla war flares to the mix. I also intend to stretch my wheelbase on the new frame as well.

Engine is a slightly buiilt 351W, C4 Auto and twin stick D20 for now. I'm currently running D44 front and BB9" rear but, know those will NOT hold up to BIG MEATS.

Anyone running 40s or bigger on their EBs?

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Dang - you are going to make that thing bigger?!?! Sounds like you have the disease, my friend......Inchitis. It's a terrible thing (I know, 'cuz I am starting to show signs of it myself) ;D

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Your build sounds similar to my rig w/o the boggers :) I ran 42" TSLs on full width 60 front and Tera60R rear for three yeas. 5.5" lift and 3" body. We had to trim the front fenders extensively inc. part of the lower grille. The rear required a small "tub to the inside" on the tailgate end of both rear doghouses. I really liked the "built in side protection" of the 15x42's on full width but, had to haul it on a deck over trailer and some trails were a bit tight!! My wheelbase is 106"
Let us know how it turns out.
KB6677
NC
ebssss

MikeEB

Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
I'm currently running 37's on a 5.5 susp and 2 BL. I can clear 39's without trimming.. 40's outta just have to take a little off the top. Make sure you post up some pics and keep us posted

OP
OP
Grunt1058

Grunt1058

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Land of Entrapment
Thanks guys. Yeah, it's gonna grow a little bigger. ;)

This is a plan that will probably take me a year or two to collect everything I want before I actually move my body/engine/tranny/tcase setup over to. Since my Bronco is running now and I do have the spare frame, I figure now's a good time to start collecting pieces. Just want to know how much lift I should plan to build this thing.

Don't worry... Pics and build details will all be part of my plans. Worst comes to worst, I have a spare 5.0L engine sitting on a stand that I could use instead of my 351W. We'll see. ;D ;D ;D

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
I ran 3.5" lift 2" body with 38's with plenty of clearance. 40's are just a bit larger, just cut the fenders out more. I went about 1" below the fender seam and took a hammer to the wheelwell. Some just take out the inner fender well but with full width you will be getting more contact with the fender more than anything. If you push the front axle forwards then the grill has to be cut.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Since you're basically building it from the frame up anyhow, I would think more in terms of making the body fit the big meats rather than lifting it up high enough to clear everything. I'm doing a similar job to my rig now, with 40" MTRs, FW D60 & 9", and if anything I'm hoping to actually lower the suspension a bit. The 40's won't fit into the wheel well anyhow so you gotta do some sheetmetal fabrication anyhow. So while you're at it, keep the center of gravity nice and low, and cut-&-fab the body to fit around the tires wherever they'll be on full-stuff. I'm going from 35's to 40's, and will ba able to just about maintain the original ride height I had before. That nice low COG along with the full widths and stretched wheelbase should make that thing crawl like a spider.

Dusty

OP
OP
Grunt1058

Grunt1058

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Land of Entrapment
That makes perfect sense Dusty. I guess I hadn't really thought about it like that. I do need to do some body fabrication anyways since mine does have more rust then I personally like to have. (ZERO is a good amount of rust for me)

I already plan to remove the inner fenders and fab up some new way to mount my MSD box and coil. I'll be re-wiring the whole thing with the body off so moving things around shouldn't be a problem.

I also want to find a low rise EFI conversion for the 351W to add to the mix. BIG PLANS!!! WOOT!!!

CORE4WD

Loc.
Virginia Beach
Here's a pic of a project I'm working on right now. 5.5" Duff's with 3" body lift. 40" boggers, D60, 10.25 full widths. Hope this gives you some ideas. And no, the mufflers aren't staying there. They're on there until I install the shorty headers. Gotta try and keep the neighbors happy!
side1151.jpg

shane124.jpg

side2561.jpg

crawln68

Bronco Guru
I stretched my wheelbase to 97 inches, 5.5 lift and 2 inch body lift. Warflares up to the body line. I stretched the rear fender tubs 7 inches and stretched the front inner fenders as well. The tires will stuff way up into the inner fenders. Full width D60 rear 3/4 ton D44 front on 39.5 Iroks.

Attachments

• 100_1572.jpg
    100_1572.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 52

welndmn

Bronco Guru
Mine has 60 front 9 inch rear, both stupid wide.
3.5 lift coils 3 inch body lift.
I run 38's ,but also ran 44's with only a little rubbing.
In the process of selling my 38's and geting some 42's.