• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock Limited Slip

MKD

Loc.
Edgewood, NM
I've got the original Ford limited slip in the rear. Question: Does it "work" when in reverse as well as it does when driving forward? This may be a silly question, but I seemed to notice a difference this morning while thrashing around in about 6" of snow. Just wondered... :)

66horse

Bronco Guru
I cant really tell you for sure. What I can tell you is that it doesn't work very well. And the time it didnt work very well when i needed it was in reverse. One tire just spun away as the other sat there. I guess thats the "slip" part.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
They work Bitchen in both directions when the clutches aren't worn down. When this happened to me, I took out the 9" carrier on mine and replaced the frictions and sanded the steels with 320 wet or dry sandpaper. Put it all back together. Now they lock tighter than any Posi I've ever seen. When I go around a corner on dry pavement under any power at all, the inside rear tire chirps across the white lines in the crosswalk. <br>If you decide to take on this task of refreshing your pumpkin, make sure you add the BSS ("Blue Stinky Stuff" Traction-Lock Oil conditioner) back to the new gear oil or the clutches will chatter around corners.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
Where can you get the clutch discs cheap?<br><br>I know w/ the 8.8 limited slips you can shim them a little tighter and they work great. If I didn't auto-x it would last right long.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
One modification I would make to the carrier if I was going to do some extreme driving with a lot of horsepower and torque is... I would install a billett cover on the carrier because the OE covers sometimes crack around the area milled out for the ring gear bolt heads. <br>I'm still running a 2V Motorcraft 2150 on a stock 302, so I'm not making enough power to hurt my factory equipment diff. yet... ::)

66horse

Bronco Guru
[quote author=BwoncoHowie link=board=5;threadid=11936;start=0#88062 date=1038949543]<br>They work Bitchen in both directions when the clutches aren't worn down. When this happened to me, I took out the 9" carrier on mine and replaced the frictions and sanded the steels with 320 wet or dry sandpaper. Put it all back together. Now they lock tighter than any Posi I've ever seen. When I go around a corner on dry pavement under any power at all, the inside rear tire chirps across the white lines in the crosswalk. <br>If you decide to take on this task of refreshing your pumpkin, make sure you add the BSS ("Blue Stinky Stuff" Traction-Lock Oil conditioner) back to the new gear oil or the clutches will chatter around corners.<br>[/quote]<br><br>So your saying that after 36 years, my factory limited slip might be a little worn. ;) <br><br>This is good info and another project to add to the list. Thanks for the info.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
From my experience with Track-Locks is they don't work well off the road. They are great for the street and some mud and sand, but if you take your Bronco on trails, even the 9 clutch pack Motorsports springs with 800 lbs preload will not help you. I had all that, and yeah it worked well and chirped and stuff, but my Detroit is a million times better. So if you want reassuring traction, go Detroit.

thesnake

Bronco Guru
printing this one out too, so when I get there I can remember.<br><br>snake

horslady

Loc.
Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Like everything else it might need a little tlc..... hard to believe these babies work as well as they do for the age they are. But they do more than some of the newer stuff. Ours is basicly stock and we are fixing as we go. :D

justinsane

Loc.
Casper, Wyoming
They do work pretty well if the clutches are good. Once gone, you've essentially got an open diff.<br><br>Like 76broncofromhell said, they are allright for snow, sand, mud something kind of slippery. Problem is that in order for the clutches to engage, you have to have some amount of slippage first. Not what you want trying to climb rocks.<br><br>Brian

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
[quote author=76Broncofromhell link=board=5;threadid=11936;start=0#88767 date=1039131126]<br>From my experience with Track-Locks is they don't work well off the road. They are great for the street and some mud and sand, but if you take your Bronco on trails, even the 9 clutch pack Motorsports springs with 800 lbs preload will not help you. I had all that, and yeah it worked well and chirped and stuff, but my Detroit is a million times better. So if you want reassuring traction, go Detroit.<br>[/quote]<br>76Bronc has another good point. But you will need to taylor your needs for the kind of driving you do. Because of the higher cost and the loud clunking sounds that Detroit Lockers make, my preference is still the 4-pinion 28 spline Original Equipment Traction-Lock that came with my '73 rig.

OP
OP
MKD

MKD

Loc.
Edgewood, NM
Thanks, folks, for all the opinions/info. I'm pretty ignorant as to how these things work. The occasional "clunk" coming from the rear of the vehicle on startup and tight turns I was just attributing to what has elsewhere been referred to as "Bronco Clunk". Perhaps it's axle wrap. Perhaps a lack of the proper additive. Perhaps... I guess I just need to get down and dirty and check it out! But, you've provided a bunch of good stuff to think about. Thanks again. ;) --Mike D.