• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock oil pan pickup

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
Are oil pan pickups proprietary to the shape of the pan? Where can I find an oil pickup for a stock early bronco? Struck out at the regular parts houses. Thanks.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I have both the Ford Fox/Panther body and original EB pickups. They look almost identical. The later pickup is at the machine shop so I can't compare side by side right now.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If your changing pickups, do yourself a solid and get some modeling clay, install pickup then push oil pan into place with clay wrapped in plastic wrap under pickup, clay should mush down to say 1/4 inch of thickness. You dont want to much space, nor to little.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Everything AZArizona said and add... make sure you have the oil pan gasket in place when you do this. Do not torque it up

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Today I compared the OE pickup to the Fox/Panther pickup. The screen on the OE Bronco was about 1.5" lower than the late duel sump pickup. So the OE Bronco pickup won't fit in a Fox/ Panther pan and the Fox/Panther pickup may suck air when used in an OE Bronco pan that has a deeper sump.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Ford Racing 351W oil Pan: Steel ... rear sump (7 quart) pan with louvered windage tray and crankshaft scraper - 9 quart capacity -M-6675-FT351 front sump .

They make both rear and front sump. Just an option... $$$

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The OE 289/302 oil pan for EBs is the ONLY pan made for the EB chassis. Anything else will be hit by the front axle/differential at full compression. I know now the pickup is also unique. The Ford Racing pans are made for Fox/Panther body cars not EBs. Tom's does have original oil pans so they may have the corresponding pickup.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Well I ran a van pan for dozens of years. Springs out, engine mounts lowered 1/2" and the pan and D44 diff never kissed.

Wasn't made for it but worked perfect. Ask any other Bronco owner of 40 yrs or more.

OP
OP
mp

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
I am swapping an original EB pan onto a 5.0 out of a Fox. It was originally mocked up in a truck that had a 5.5" suspension lift, and I guess the builder did not think there would be any interference. I swapped the motor into a stock suspension restoration, and it is very obvious there will be a problem with the Fox pan with stock suspension. Hence the need to swap back to a factory stock pan

Got the listed Melling pickup on order, and will be available for pickup tomorrow