• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

stretched bronco

dirt jerk

Loc.
new melle
has any body moved there front axle forward? looking for some info on what all would be involved.
thanks larry

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
has any body moved there front axle forward? looking for some info on what all would be involved.
thanks larry

Here is my buddy's trail rig-Stretched 12" fwd- pumpkin is in front of the oil pan, loose factory steering box, full hydro, new cross member, coil overs with mounts almost at the end of the frame, battery move, obviously no inner fenders, tube along the hoodline where the fenders used to be. He hopes to put some fenders back on the front sometime.........It is not pretty but goes fantastic, 4link coilover front, 4link 2.5 Fox air on the rear.

Attachments

• IMG_2995_1_1_1.JPG
    IMG_2995_1_1_1.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_2996_1_1_1.JPG
    IMG_2996_1_1_1.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 222

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
heck if you move the front end far enough forward you could use an F150 box without reversing the rotation.

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
heck if you move the front end far enough forward you could use an F150 box without reversing the rotation.

Depends on how big of a tire you want to turn :) The 42s on the eb pictured about demand at least hydro assist-full being better.........

Broncobowsher

Total hack

Or an unmodified Scout box.

I looked into stretching the front not long ago. Just an exercise in "what would it take". I was thinking a couple inches. Simple answer is if it is going to be anyplace other then stock, an inch or a foot, it is going to take major work. Trackbar, steering, crossmember are the trickier ones. Radius arms, spring mounts, shock mounts and bodywork are easy. I guess it also depends on how much you want the suspension to move as well. Lots of lift, very limited travel and the clearance restrictions go away. So what if it only has an inch of travel until it bottems out, keeps the diff out of the crossmember. Can't have bumpsteer if the suspension doesn't move over bumps. Oh this is going downhill...

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Or an unmodified Scout box.

I looked into stretching the front not long ago. Just an exercise in "what would it take". I was thinking a couple inches. Simple answer is if it is going to be anyplace other then stock, an inch or a foot, it is going to take major work. Trackbar, steering, crossmember are the trickier ones. Radius arms, spring mounts, shock mounts and bodywork are easy. I guess it also depends on how much you want the suspension to move as well. Lots of lift, very limited travel and the clearance restrictions go away. So what if it only has an inch of travel until it bottems out, keeps the diff out of the crossmember. Can't have bumpsteer if the suspension doesn't move over bumps. Oh this is going downhill...

Don't put a damper on his project till you do one-We are on our second "from scratch" front end/suspension/steering and it is not that bad. EVERYTHING is basically removed and you just start over. When upgrading to a front D60 it is a logical progression. I will add it would not be worth it on an eb a person is wanting to maintain stockish front look. The three rigs stretched and modified are all out trail rigs and only one is street legal. That one is my beater Ranger and it sits 77" high to the top of the exocage with 40"Krawlers on it, will run straight down the road @60 with 42" TSLs and has NO bump steer issues. Oh yeah, I have 6" of the air shocks showing out of 14 in the rear and 4-5 showing on the front

Based on the attached pic, I would say the Ranger has pretty good travel :)

Attachments

• Moab 2008 - Hell's Revenge 108.JPG
    Moab 2008 - Hell's Revenge 108.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 177

Silverhorse

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pensacola
I plan on stretching my front soon and use the f-150 box as is. To answer your question, many on here have stretched their Broncos. Do a search on stretched wheelbase and you'll find some good info!

ROKDWLR

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stockton, Ca.
Here's 4 inches forward and 6 back. I used the F150 4x4 box in stock form so the pitman arm still points forward. I moved the coil buckets and installed new mounts forward and relocated the front body mounts to the top of the frame just in front of the radiator. Then removed the stock front body mount brackets to clear the way for the tires.

Attachments

• Bronco restoration 035.jpg
    Bronco restoration 035.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 825

Silverhorse

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pensacola
Here's 4 inches forward and 6 back. I used the F150 4x4 box in stock form so the pitman arm still points forward. I moved the coil buckets and installed new mounts forward and relocated the front body mounts to the top of the frame just in front of the radiator. Then removed the stock front body mounts to clear the way for the tires.

Very nice!

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here's 4 inches forward and 6 back. I used the F150 4x4 box in stock form so the pitman arm still points forward. I moved the coil buckets and installed new mounts forward and relocated the front body mounts to the top of the frame just in front of the radiator. Then removed the stock front body mount brackets to clear the way for the tires.

That is a clean looking well done eb-nice job. Your mods are easily followed and should work well for anyone.

ROKDWLR

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stockton, Ca.
Thank you Carl. Just remembered a few more things I had to do. The crossmember had to be removed and a new one fabbed forward so the suspension could cycle, the inner fenders were stretched and raised in the front and now mount to the core support which was also trimmed to clear rubber. Also fabbed a new tracbar mount from 2x4x1/4" tubing. The battery was also remounted on a 45 degree angle. Plans are to tube the front end in the future. If I tried it again I'd tube the front end from beginning. Clearing sheetmetal and moving bodymounts took more time that the suspension mods. %)

bronco69drp

Loc.
Cordova TN(memphis)
moved the rear back 14" & 4-linked it;D;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
the winter project is to move the front forward 4" & full hydro steering8-) :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
003.JPG

007.JPG

004.JPG

4.JPG

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

OP
OP
D

dirt jerk

Loc.
new melle
thanks for all the help and pics. im going to give it a try. only thing im thinking is i will go with hp 60 if im going to do it. thanks for all the help.

uncle ray

FWIW i also used a non reversed 4x4 box, moved mine 2 1/2" or so forward. it's a bad place for the steering box to end up at though, it required surgery to the crossmember to weld nut plates in for the steering box mount.

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ

Oh man that is one of the nicest stretch jobs I've seen (barring a complete body stretch). Do you have any photos/records of your build?

ROKDWLR

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stockton, Ca.
Thank you. I have some pics but never did a build thread. If there's something specific you're looking for and I have pics of it, let me know and I'll send what I have.

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
Thank you. I have some pics but never did a build thread. If there's something specific you're looking for and I have pics of it, let me know and I'll send what I have.

x2 verrrry nice.... I would like some details and pics too, especially about the spring relocation and the front stretch...