• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stroppe Bronco on BAT

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Saw this -

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I know what it’ll be in my dreams tonight.......

If some regular production Broncos are selling for six figures on BAT, this one’s going to take a mighty big bowl of popcorn on auction day!

BruiserOutdoors

nice bronco. im surprised the marti stats aren't more impressive being a 71 baja ? I have seen a 75 baja with a "1 of 30" stat.

House

Minutia Militia
Quite a few less Bajas built in 75 making them more rare, but I believe the earlier ones are more desirable since they have more Stroppe parts and labor… May just be personal choice? Doesn’t matter, they are all awesome…

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Quite a few less Bajas built in 75 making them more rare, but I believe the earlier ones are more desirable since they have more Stroppe parts and labor… May just be personal choice? Doesn’t matter, they are all awesome…
I think that is pretty much how most people feel. Like the early Shelbys where they actually hadd there hands on them and had to fab makes them the ones to have. 71-72 are my favorites.

Rebuilder

Contributor
Do the later ones still have the "STROPPE" trans adapters or did Ford just start shipping them with the auto trans when it became an option in the Bronco? Something I've always wondered but never got around to asking anyone.

Rebuilder

Contributor
....more desirable since they have more Stroppe parts and labor…

I'm rebuilding the rear axle on my March of '71 Baja right now and had a good laugh at the weld quality on the added shock mounts.... I thought "good help must have been hard to find even back then". I left all the welds as is knowing that they've held up this long and it would be stupid to fix them because it's all part of the history.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Do the later ones still have the "STROPPE" trans adapters or did Ford just start shipping them with the auto trans when it became an option in the Bronco? Something I've always wondered but never got around to asking anyone.
No, from '73-on, they just had the regular adapters like all the other auto-equipped trucks did.

Todd Z.

BruiserOutdoors

I think that is pretty much how most people feel. Like the early Shelbys where they actually hadd there hands on them and had to fab makes them the ones to have. 71-72 are my favorites.
thats fair and understandable but not quite what my question was.

why does a marti report for a 71 baja not have a stat for the rarity of it? wasnt as well documented? perhaps the reason we dont know how many bajas were ever made.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
thats fair and understandable but not quite what my question was.

why does a marti report for a 71 baja not have a stat for the rarity of it? wasnt as well documented? perhaps the reason we dont know how many bajas were ever made.
I thought the '71 Stroppe Marti's listed the production #'s like the rest of the years did?

Todd Z.

Rebuilder

Contributor
Stroppe isn't even listed on some '71 reports which is weird because these two were built 10 days apart. Here's mine on the left and this one on the right.

Something else I thought was interesting is mine's a U152 and this one is a U150. Do you guys know how common one was vs the other for Baja's?

Also a little side note, mine is a Seattle DSO and I believe they're the only ones to get 3.50 gears... or at least there were a lot more 3.50 than 4.11.....

Marti Report Comps.jpg

House

Minutia Militia
This brings up a somewhat scary point with the value of these things these days…
Is it really a Baja if Kevin Marti doesn’t say it is? Some people say no.
Funny thing is he has some documents from Ford, none from Stroppe, and doesn’t really know anything about them…
Is it really a Baja if Andrew Norton says it is? Again some people say no, but only if Kevin Marti doesn’t say it is… I myself trust the guy that has spent half of his life researching these things and has
owned more of them than anyone else on the planet…

Not all Baja Broncos are “Marti Bajas”.

House

Minutia Militia
Something else I thought was interesting is mine's a U152 and this one is a U150. Do you guys know how common one was vs the other for Baja's?

Also a little side note, mine is a Seattle DSO and I believe they're the only ones to get 3.50 gears... or at least there were a lot more 3.50 than 4.11.....
U152 seems to be the most common by far.
4.11’s are much more common as well, still not sure why those Seattle DSO’s have 3.50’s…?
Some weird PNW fuel mileage requirement or EPA limits???

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good questions guys. So, most 71 are U150. With the exception of the Seattle DSO Bajas which are U152 in '71. I think this is because the 71 Baja was spec'd out to have HD springs 850/1280. I think because the Baja Bronco mandatory factory equipment list had those springs listed separately, they added them to the option list - instead of getting them as part of the U152 package. I think it is simple as someone at Ford or Stroppe not knowing they could simply select U152 package. And for ease of production didn't change til next year.

The Seattle DSO Bajas are a fun bunch and Marti can't see them. I've spoken to him and emailed about them with him as far back as late 90s or early 2000 whenever Marti started doing non Mustangs. It also took me clueing them in about something - I ordered 3 or 4 Deluxe reports and they showed up correct, but just special paint, special order Broncos. I sent all four to him together and told him I was registrar of Baja Broncos and that these 4 were Bajas. He extrapolated something, that helped him identify them, at least 3 of them and reprinted all them (back when they printed and sent to you), except for my daily Driver Seattle DSO baja, which he said he still can't see. Now when you get a Marti Deluxe report it says "Converted by Stroppe with the Baja Bronco Package" due to that exchange.

So far no 4.11LS have been found on Seattle DSO Bajas, only 3.50. And no U150.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm rebuilding the rear axle on my March of '71 Baja right now and had a good laugh at the weld quality on the added shock mounts.... I thought "good help must have been hard to find even back then". I left all the welds as is knowing that they've held up this long and it would be stupid to fix them because it's all part of the history.
This is a really good point. Owning a Baja isn't about you and your fabrication abilities - can puff our chests on our own builds with 4 links and cowl hoods! Probably a good weld anyway, regardless of how it looks or it would have broken jumpin in and out of all those puddles!