• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Surprised/depressed after flare installation.....

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
So I had Bushwackers installed this week in prep for new rims/tires and was surprised to find how they were installed on the rear. I am very used to seeing them where they are equal distance between the fuel caps. These were installed further forward. I can understand the shop's reasoning....gives more room for larger tires...but with 33's or 35s, I can't see the need. I'm very unhappy with how it "looks", but functionally I know this is probably better.

Any words of wisdom? It's going to take me a LONG time to get used to them.

Attachments

• CIMG5475.jpg
    CIMG5475.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 292
  • CIMG5478.jpg
    CIMG5478.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 209
  • CIMG5479.jpg
    CIMG5479.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 230
  • CIMG5480.jpg
    CIMG5480.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 192

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
wait to pass judgment till after the new rims and tires.

OP
OP
airbur

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Yea....I guess there are so many that have been done wrong, I got used to, and liked the incorrect installations.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
Yea....I guess there are so many that have been done wrong, I got used to, and liked the incorrect installations.

Yeah, its a bummer when what you expect and what you get are two different things. There are a lot of things on these rigs that can be done more than one way. Its part of why I ended up doing things on my rig myself.

Tom

OP
OP
airbur

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Yea....I've done most everything else. I wanted a pro to do these though since it's a visual thing really. Ah well, I see how the tire will be centered much better this way.

siderbox

Bronco Guru
I can see how you'd like the equidistant between the caps.

I'm torn between the two.

I like the fact that they are installed correctly, center with the axle.
The tire to flare will look better spaced equally.

But the flare looks better spaced with the caps.

I'm liking more and more having on tank so I don't have to worry about the placement of the flares.;D

69montanabronco

Loc.
Billings
My fiberglass ones were centered and at the time 31 inch tires broke the front edge. I trimed a bit off the leading edge to fix it. You will be happier with them slightly forward. Mine

mitzel

Loc.
Googleplex
If that flare is moved back to center between the filler caps then even a
33" tire often starts to rub on the front edge. I think your flare is setup
perfect if you're planning on a 33"-35" tire!

If the look really bothers you in the future a fairly easy change may be
to swap to a flare with a larger opening. Then you can still have the front
of the flare in the same location, trim a bit more at the rear, and it may
fill the full space between the filler caps. Something along the lines of
the Wild Horses Wareflares might be an option.

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
Mine are centered and my 35s busted off the front of the flare on my first MILD offroad trip. I had to trim the front edge off both rears...

I think this will work out well for you... If you had one cap it would be great...

Greg

Nightmare Bronc

I think they turned out really nice. It will really look good when you get your new tires and rims on.

JakeAlex

Loc.
New Albany, MS
Remove one of your gas tanks and fill in the filler neck hole on the body. Problem solved. :cool:

As I was reading through the responses, I was going to say what Justin said. You "could" do as I did and remove your AUX tank, upgrade the main tank to a 23 gal and just do away with your AUX tank hole. This is what I did on mine. Just a suggestion.

Looking good btw...

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Mine are centered on the caps and the 33's have met the front lower edge of the flairs many times.

Hoppy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gresham, OR
How about a longer filler tube and move the AUX tank filler and cap closer to the driver sticker post

mavereq

Bronco Guru
i think i'd rather have the flares centered and the axle moved back... just sayin

RubberTramp

I think it looks good it will look awesome with some new wheels. weld up the aux tank hole and she will look great i always wished my old ones were centered. but i put new war flares on it and centered them and done away with the filler necks and put a fuel door on for the main and it worked great.