• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sweat The Small Stuff, Folks

cjjhalfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oologah, OK _
Was cruising down the highway yesterday to go dump some dirt/rock, and had a bad vibration and loud noise, just like I had when I bent two pushrods. After cussing the engine, it got nice, quiet and smooth when I came to a stop. Got out and looked and found that four of the five lug nuts on the left front were finger tight and coming off - and I haven't had the rims off in a couple of years. So you might check yours periodically, just for the hell of it. It could have been ugly for me yesterday.

Kidney

Good point!! Glad nothing serious happened. I think you owe your engine a good tune up for all the cussing it had to endure.

I thought I read that it's a good idea to change your lug nuts every once in a while.

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I had the same thing happen. My Drivers side rear lugs came loose when they had not benn touched in months! I thought I had a U joint going out. I pulled over and checked the drive shaft 3 times before I figured out it was the Lugs. Now I have gotten into the habbit of checking mine when I'm gassing up. It takes forever for my tanks to fill so I have plenty of time to check the lugs, check the oil, and clean my windshield.

Big Nuf

Loc.
Tulsa, OK
cjjhalfcab said:
Was cruising down the highway yesterday to go dump some dirt/rock, and had a bad vibration and loud noise, just like I had when I bent two pushrods. After cussing the engine, it got nice, quiet and smooth when I came to a stop. Got out and looked and found that four of the five lug nuts on the left front were finger tight and coming off - and I haven't had the rims off in a couple of years. So you might check yours periodically, just for the hell of it. It could have been ugly for me yesterday.

That's what happens when you baby it around. It's pissed because you won't let it stretch it's legs.
When are we going wheelin'.

TW

broncomanbrad

Loc.
Roseau, MN
The other day my brother and I were driving down the road on the way home from work and noticed a loud thumping noise. He got out and checked the tires to see if it was a nail in the tire or something like that. He couldn't see anything so I said I would look around while he drove slowly forward. I looked for the elusive nail also. No dice. So as I glance around the tire I notice that all but one of the F-250's lugs were just sitting there. I don't know how they stayed on for that long. It would have been pretty bad if the tire had come completely off, we had one of our goose neck trailers hooked up and it was holding some heavy cargo.

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Also a good idea to check your bolts on your D-shafts as well as for your springs. I always can tighten my u-bolt nuts when I am under there. Maybe I should get a few lock nuts to thread down on top.

J.D.