• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tailgate Isn't Rattling!

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
I put my tailgate back on today after it was out for a rust repair along the bottom. So far I've only done one drive, but it doesn't rattle at all! :eek:

It was never horrible before, but now it's tight and quiet. (Of course the downside is that now I hear all the rattles in the doors.)

Here's what I did:

1. New urethane hinges from Tom's Bronco Parts. They eliminate the metal-on-metal of those stamped hinges that come from the factory.

2. Before putting the scissor support arms on, I slipped some o-rings over the tabs on the gate. They provide just a little cushion once the arms are on.

3. I had to play with and shim the catches on the sides that the tailgate latches fit into in order to get the gate to close. They're set so that the latches just engage, with no fore-aft "wiggle" from the gate when it's up.

4. Previously, I had installed a gas strut conversion on the liftgate, which help keeps that from rattling. Just for good measure, I wrapped that anti-theft post with electrical tape.

Unfortunately, I did everything at the same time, so I don't really know which of these things did the trick or it took all of them. I had forgotten to order new rubber bumpers, as the originals are pretty dried out, and thought they'd need replacing. They still do, but I don't think they'll be any further help, unless it starts rattling in the future.

Your mileage may vary, etc., etc.

Baja71

Bronco Guru
There is a little rubber sleeve available to go on the anti theft post. It will last longer and do a better job than the elect tape. When I bought mine, the PO had so much duct tape back there in the lift gate/tailgate area it took days to find it all.

msweb

Bronco Guru
Anti theft post? gas strut conversion? Pics please!

OP
OP
Stroppe-Envy-77

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
Anti theft post? gas strut conversion? Pics please!

I thought these were both pretty well known in the Bronco world.

The "anti theft post" is that metal thing that's bolted to the top of the tailgate that keeps it from being opened when the liftgate is closed and locked. I'm pretty sure most Broncos that came with a hardtop from the factory have them (at least the later ones). And yes, I plan on buying the proper insulator for it...the tape is only temporary!

Can't remember where I got the gas strut conversion, but just about every Bronco vendor sells them. For example:
http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Liftgate_Shocks/Liftgate_Parts

msweb

Bronco Guru
Duh, my bad. I'm thinking tailgate only, not "liftgate". And I've even done the gas strut conversion on my "back window" %)

I added a tortion bar to the tailgate on my F150 that makes it feather light and I can shut it using just my little finger. I was thinking someone came up with a set of gas shocks to do the same but couldn't figure out how they'd fit in there....

OP
OP
Stroppe-Envy-77

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
And for those who don't know, the gas struts have a double benefit.

Not only do they work much better when opening the liftgate / back window compared to those slidey metal things, they also keep slight upward pressure on it when closed. This helps cut down on rattles.

msweb

Bronco Guru
And for those who don't know, the gas struts have a double benefit.

Not only do they work much better when opening the liftgate / back window compared to those slidey metal things, they also keep slight upward pressure on it when closed. This helps cut down on rattles.

Yes, that was one of the first things I noticed when i did mine. HUGE difference! Then I took the top off about a month later and haven't had it back on in the past 4 1/2 years... Oh well, still doesn't rattle! ;D