• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tapered reamer

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Guys,

I just ordered the BC Broncos tie rod kit and need a tapered Reamer for my knuckles and Pitman arm.

BC offers one for $90, but I passed on it thinking I read here that snap-on sold an economy version for around 25 bucks. Does anyone know the exact product number for this?

They seem to offer 2 on their site. R120 and r121 but they are different sizes.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools.asp?tool=all&Group_ID=675219&store=snapon-store

Is this available elsewhere online? Perhaps McMaster? They ship quickly and cheaply.

Or if anyone has one willing to rent locally or sell give me a shout.

Thanks!!

sp71eb

Loc.
North Liberty, Ia
I think the reamer has to be between 7 and 8 degree. Wish I was closer to you, I have one. I'm not sure how you can tell what degree the snap-on one is. Extreme custom fab sells them on e-bay for 89 with free shipping.

76MaBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Massachusetts
Guys,

I just ordered the BC Broncos tie rod kit and need a tapered Reamer for my knuckles and Pitman arm.

BC offers one for $90, but I passed on it thinking I read here that snap-on sold an economy version for around 25 bucks. Does anyone know the exact product number for this?

They seem to offer 2 on their site. R120 and r121 but they are different sizes.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools.asp?tool=all&Group_ID=675219&store=snapon-store

Is this available elsewhere online? Perhaps McMaster? They ship quickly and cheaply.

Or if anyone has one willing to rent locally or sell give me a shout.

Thanks!!

I can ship mine out to you until you're done with it...let me know.

OP
OP
Fireball05

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
76MaBronco - thanks for the awesome offer! I may have a lead on a local one, so will let you know later if I need to take advantage of your generosity.

Incidentally, I did a search before posting this and couldn't find any info, so if anyone does know the snap-on items that are used, it would be great to post here so that this information will live on in infamy in the Classicbroncos.com SEARCH results!

I don't know which, if any, of the below are correct, just providing the links to make it easier for someone who may actually know!

Snap On 1/8" - 1/2" taper, $27

Snap On 1/2" - 1" taper, $61

McMaster - Carr, page full o' reamers, not sure if any of these would work

OP
OP
Fireball05

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
I think the reamer has to be between 7 and 8 degree. Wish I was closer to you, I have one. I'm not sure how you can tell what degree the snap-on one is. Extreme custom fab sells them on e-bay for 89 with free shipping.

7.125 degrees to be precise. 1.5" per foot of taper. A practical use of my trigonometry studies to calculate that angle!!! Who says you don't learn anything useful in school :)

ransil

Bronco Guru
Just Ordered them, this site has a bunch of great products, I added them to me Fav list...

Thanks for the info, saved me some cash..

Did you use the discount code? :)
Find it in the vendors section

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Which TRE does this ruffstuff bushing fit? EB? Or 76-up? Or something else? I think I understand that the original hole gets drilled out straight?

tmaddux911

If you guys have a good local machinist they can make one. The machinist here at my work makes at least one a week. Just a thought.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I got mine from mike at extreme. If anyone local to me needs to ever borrow one just shoot me a PM.

And no local machinest is gona make that reamer! if they would it would cost you hundreds!!! I call BS on that last post!

tmaddux911

Im not sure what it would cost to tell ya the truth. I work in aviation and we have to step up bushings on a daily basis that requires special reamers. Which our machinist makes in house. Just saying its possible. NOT BS MY FRIEND.

lagbolt

Ruff stuff's gm one ton setup is 7.125 degrees at 1.5 taper per foot or 1/2 x 1" for some reamers. The snap on part number R121 will work. The pitman arm has to be reamed.The knuckles have to be drilled out to 7/8 and use there tapered insert for TRO and don't in order for TRE to work. http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/inssteer.html If your only using the reamer one time like I did, get this. http://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Tools-11221-Repair-Pouched/dp/B003JZARBU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393026765&sr=8-1&keywords=irwin+reamer Worked great for me on the pitman arm but, I dont see it lasting very long. Its only made for cleaning. The pitman arm doesn't have to reamed very much so this work perfect and the taper degrees was dead on.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
remember that if you doing the chebby 1 ton tre's you also have to ream the pass side TRE. So that means that the inserts arnt gona eliminate the need for the reamer

Last edited: