• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

The differences between 71-77 bronco chassis????

Bhall75

Loc.
Atlanta
I was hoping someone could help me with a couple of questions.

1) The 76-77 had an anti-sway bar. Did this change the bronco drastically from other earlier models(71-75 only)

2) The 77 had a different 9 inch rear end. Was this a big deal?

I'm trying to determine if there is a big difference between 71-77 models as far as stability and chassis Goes while disregarding PS,PB, and disc brakes.

Thanks,

Last edited:

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Since I'm now an expert on axles, there is a 66-75 small bearing rear axle with 10" drum brakes, there is a 66-75 big bearing with 11" drum brakes (heavy duty axle), there is an oddball 74-75 small bearing 10" inch drum brake rear end, and the 76-77 rear end which has big bearings and a slightly longer axle to match up to the different style rear 11" drum brakes.

Front axles on 76-77 may come with factory disks, otherwise every other year had drum on all four corners, no pwer assist.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The '76/7 changed track bar and steering linkage as well. From people who have had them stock it apparently made a signifient improvment. But that is stock. When you start modifying stuff, lift kits and the like, then all bets are off. Depending on how the lift was done it can range from better then stock (rare to actually happen this way) to functional (most common) and sometimes so damn scary it isn't safe to drive across a parking lot (generally not a kit but backyard fabrication).

The frames themselves didn't have any major changes. Track bar as mentioned, '77 has different gas tank mounting.

The big banjo 9" in the '77 is known for being the strongest. But depending on what you are planning on doing it may be excess not needed. From what I can tell they didn't upgrade the housing as an upgrade per say, it looks to be a manufacturing issue where it was simplier easier to sue the better housing. Being a better housing was simply a bonus.

Front axle is the same all years except the change in track bar and added disk brakes.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Since I'm now an expert on axles, there is a 66-75 small bearing rear axle with 10" drum brakes, there is a 66-75 big bearing with 11" drum brakes (heavy duty axle), there is an oddball 74-75 small bearing 10" inch drum brake rear end

The oddball '74-'75 axle had big bearings and 10" drums.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My bad on the 74-75.

So, can you bolt on the 76-77 disk parts and steering linkage to a 70-75 front Dana 44 axle?

On another note, i know you can bolt on aftermarket almost like OEM sway bars front and rear on any year that do a good job at mimicing the 76-77 setup.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
In short there is no "big" differance in handling between the years. a sway bar can help if your taking a lot of hi speed corners but a lot of us with lifts have no issues without sway bars. I might be wrong but I believe not all 76/77's came with swaybars. The big 76/77 housing is nice but not really needed and is of no benefit to handling.

Last edited:

turbotim2

The trac bar bracket on the frame of the 76-77 is different then all other years.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
The only difference in the frames (71 to a 77) would be the location VIN frame stamping.

The 76/77 tracbar mount on the frame may have a minor difference or it may be the tracbar itself. 76/77 tracbar mount drop kits are seperated from all other years because of this difference.

The 77 9" has a football shape housing which is considered stronger with bigger bearings and 11" drum brakes.

Bronc76

In short there is no "big" differance in handling between the years. a sway bar can help if your taking a lot of hi speed corners but a lot of us with lifts have no issues without sway bars. I might be wrong but I believe not all 76/77's came with swaybars. The big 76/77 housing is nice but not really needed and is of no benefit to handling.

You are correct in that not all 76/77's came with sway bars.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
My understanding is ALL '76 and '77 had front sway bars.
Now if they are still there or not is a different story. Many have been tossed over the years.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...The 76/77 tracbar mount on the frame may have a minor difference or it may be the tracbar itself. 76/77 tracbar mount drop kits are seperated from all other years because of this difference.

Correct on both counts. Both the frame mount AND the upper bushing on the later ones are different. The bracket is longer, so hangs lower, and the upper bushing is an oval shape, rather than the earlier model's standard round shape.

Paul

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
rear fuel tank mounts in the skid plate, threaded holes in frame...

Fuel tanks are plastic, only year with fuel doors, Charcoal canister mounted in engine compartment rather than low on the frame behind front pass wheel.
Fuel tank(s) emission hose routing are the cleanest... No leaking octopuss behind driver. More (vacuum) emission hoses in engine compartment, least HP figures over the years... J-shift D20

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Uh this was more related to handling differances between frames than actual small differances or other systems.