• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

"The fit" 400 in an EB

1975SPORT

Loc.
Hood River, Oregon
[ So at this point you go with what you like. I like the 400.
Bax[/QUOTE]

Again, wel said. I figured that was the situation, just curious. I always like to see new and unique things that set us apart from eachother. It would be pretty boring if we all had the exact same rig. All in all very cool, and again, cant wait to see it done.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I suspect he's putting the 400 in because he WANTS TO RUN A 400, not because he thinks it might be cheaper than something else when trying to pencil out the price per cubic inch. He'll have something very few others have, that he did himself, and you can't really put a price on that. I like it.

Dusty

I like it as well. I think that it is one hell of a motor that he has there. For a bit there, I was dead sure that I was going to go down that same path. The 400 is a sleeping giant of a motor that has capabilities unbeknownst to most people. Like bax said, if it wasn't for fuel injection, it is a very cheap torque monster.

After flip-flopping around on the whole engine thing several times, I am currently just planning on a mild 351W for my EB. I will save my 400 for my '77 PU, which isn't going to have EFI. Of course, I have been known to change my mind....%)

Nice work, bax. I am also looking forward to seeing the completion of that monster.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
The 400 is a sleeping giant of a motor that has capabilities unbeknownst to most people.

I think that image problem comes from the 400's close relationship with the 351M, which is an abortion. The 351M is basically a de-stroked 400 (in fact you can convert it to a 400 by swapping in the crank, rods and slugs from a 400). These engines were produced during the early days of emissions regulations so they were severely de-tuned by the factory. Give them some decent compression, better breathing and a less sluggish cam and they wake right up. Sometimes that's a tall order though because of the lack of aftermarket support for them. The Aussie heads are a great way to get more compression as they have the quench combustion chambers like the Cleveland 4V head, but without the monstrous ports that are more at home in high RPMs. I used to have a 77 crew cab that I wanted to build up the 400 in rather than the boring old me-too 460 swap. But I sold the truck before getting into the project and have always wanted to do one since. In fact I've always thought it would be great in an EB (but I already have a 5.8l in one and a 69 351W to go in my other (wife's) EB). Now I have a '79 Bronco (just added to the stable) with no engine so I've been thinking of sticking a 400 in it. I like these motors, great torque without the weight of a big block or FE.

Great thread!

Dusty

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I think that image problem comes from the 400's close relationship with the 351M, which is an abortion. The 351M is basically a de-stroked 400 (in fact you can convert it to a 400 by swapping in the crank, rods and slugs from a 400). These engines were produced during the early days of emissions regulations so they were severely de-tuned by the factory.

Exactly. I have heard so many people bad-mouth the 400 and the 351M - and with good reason. In stock form, they were really gutless for their size. But, even just removing the retarded timing on the 400s does amazing things for the performance. The 400 in my '77 has an aftermarket cam and it is a very stout motor - with that single mod. A few more mods, and they can get into the realm of "evil" very quickly. ;D

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A well-built 400 is reall good at breakin' stuff..from wht I've heard.
brownbag.gif

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
A well-built 400 is reall good at breakin' stuff..from wht I've heard.
brownbag.gif

LMAO. Somewhere I have also heard that they are pretty good at making headlights point up towards the sky... ;D

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Tha Oz-400 SEFI that Mark posted a pic of earlier in this thread just recently shredded the heck out of a D60 front end...:eek:

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
Look at the #'s
400M 4" bore x 4" stroke with 6.58" rods weighing 575lbs
460 4.36" bore x 3.85" stroke with 6.60" rods weighing 720lbs

Tastes great, less filling!

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't want to see Roger's head swell any more than it already has..but I gotta give him credit for getting his 400 in cleaner than mine is. He managed to split the fine hairs in front-to-back engine placement and avoid entirely any firewall massaging so it looks like its factory. I didn't quite manage that feat..:-X
..there's always the next one.;D

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Take some credit Bill. Without you sharing some quality advice I would not be where I am right now. Bill was nice enough to tell me about what to look out for and what parts to use and swaping motor mount and stuff like that. That type of information is a giant help. Bill also helped me out by building me a jam up set of heads for the build. He is stringing me along on the injection, kinda pointing me in the direction and making me do it.
He is making me learn it and that's going to help me too. Thanks Bill.
Now that none of his hat's fit lets talk about the 400.
69bronc, If you build the 400 and just put a carb on it it will still outpull the W motor. You will also have less money in the build. Stock parts in the 400 are beefy an will work just fine. Stock = cheap in this case.
Bucketobolts- Tastes great,less filling,= LMAO
Dusty- good info on the 400.
It's funny about the 335 class engines. The 351 cleveland, everyone will tell you that it's can be a great performer. Even the die hard windsor guys will go along with that. Then the 351M and the 400 come along and with them comes the retarded cams and reduced compresion. Gas pig ,boat anchor, names like that gave this poor performer a big thumbs down with the average joe.
People are spening big money on stroking their windsors,383,393,408,427. I like to think of the 400 as a factory stroked 351C. Stock!!! no wrist pin in the oil ring, no pushed to the limit bore size, no geometry problems. Just a stock stroked out 351. Now just change the cam and heads and update the piston design and your making better #'s for less money. Oh and the kicker is this "stroker will last over 200K miles. Your 427W is dead at 50K. Check please!!! It's an easy decision for me. Dont get me wrong the W motors are good, I just like my 335's

Bax

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
I like the 400s as well, and am also a big fan of injection. I'd tossed around the idea of injecting one in the past (had one in a '77 F250).

My thoughts were to use one of the Ford CFI injection units, gut the injectors out of it and keep the TPS on it.

Slap that on top of a decent intake manifold and pick up a set of aftermarket fuel rails, then weld the injector bungs into the intake, matching the rails.

On top of the CFI, use the air cleaner setup from one of the '99 or so Dodges, basically just bolts on top and has a circular opening off to the side. Use some correct sized tubing and make it MAF as well.

I wasn't sure about the distributor and scrapped the whole project when I picked up a super running 429 for $50.

We used a set of the adapter plates before and had a hard time getting them sealed. Ended pulling it apart and glueing all the gaskets in so they didn't leak. Really didn't like the distributor extension we had to put on, either. Are you happy with yours?
Joe

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
69bronc, If you build the 400 and just put a carb on it it will still outpull the W motor. You will also have less money in the build. Stock parts in the 400 are beefy an will work just fine. Stock = cheap in this case.
Bax

Indeed. But, EFI is a must for my EB. But, I will eventually turn that 400 in my '77 into a screamer. ;D