• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Thoughts on a new "Fallen Warrior" type project?

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
There's been quite a bit of activity over the last few days regarding the "Fallen Warrior" thread. I'd like to keep that energy going in a positive direction so I'm starting this thread to brainstorm ideas.

If you're interested in being a part of such project or have ideas on what that project would be please post here. I'm not trying to coordinate said effort. Just giving a spot for ideas to be discussed.

Thanks!

shonivey

Not sure how or where to post but i bought a 74 off of bajafresh up in nashville. Quite a bit of rust but what seems to be a solid running gear. I have fired it but the carb had years of sludge. I finished rebuilding the carb and plan to fire it in the next week. I am willing to donate the 74,title, and whatever parts i have to help.
I am no fabricator,mechanic or bodyman. I am over my head keeping my 72 running. But if this project comes to fruition I will be the first to try to get it started. My service was limited to a couple of years , no combat. Due to my knee , If all would have went as planned i would have retired 3 years ago..... but it did'nt. But there would have been no gaurantee i would have made it.
I loved my time in the service and am humbled by the sacrifices made on a day to day basis. I as well as many others were quick to offer parts. Now I will offer a ruff bronco.
We need to do this right. contact vendors , shops , find a place members can contribute . The charity needs to be determined to spark the interest. I will do anything in my power to give back just a little bit. As i sit here with a beer re-reading this post , after just kissing my wife and kids goodnight. There are 1000's of our servicemen and women that do not get that simple comfort. We gripe about our jobs , and traffic , the weather and many insubstantial things.
I can't build it but I have most of the parts needed.
But I am still kinda new here. There will be alot of hours tht need to go into this. It cannot be like your first puppy , that once it got a little bigger and was no longer cute you dropped it at the county dump site(telling my age but , county roads used to have 3 or 4 dumpsters where people dropped there trash. there was always a pack of dogs around it. abandoned puppies.) This will be a huge undertaking , but any effort , money , time or parts invested will pale in comparison to the sacrifices of those that serve us everyday and are seldom recognized.
shon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ignorance

Last edited:

thumping

Loc.
Jacksboro Tn
What ever is decided, I'm in. I'd really like the opportunity to give a little back to those that have given so much. What do you think about possible doing a few "fund raising" rides? We could have one for each area of the country so those that would like to join in could have the chance. The funds of coarse could go towards the purchase a project Bronco. Just a thought...

Edit...if shonivey's 74 is to be the project rig then parts could be purchased or shipping cost covered.

SACHEM

Back From the Dead
Would it be possible to include the other bronco websites on this, With CBc being the apex of course? It would be really neat to see the WHOLE community involved in this.

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
Just watching the freebies in the classifieds I've seen enough parts to build at least a couple of broncos. Seems like there's some logistical issues in gathering parts to a single location and having folks in that location willing to donate time to it. Maybe folks in different areas of the country could put together sub-assemblies with a big build gathering at the end??? More than happy to help out how I can - Not the most experienced here by any means, but I've built an EB from the ground up, can weld, have a tube bender, built a few 302s, trannys, rear ends...have also done event planning. Anyway, not to ramble - just want to let folks know I'm in to help out one of the worthiest causes I can think of.

shonivey

Just watching the freebies in the classifieds I've seen enough parts to build at least a couple of broncos.

can we sticky this for a while in more than one forum to see if the interest is there?
shon

Stefan

Loc.
Louisiana, Fort Polk
I can throw in a little bit of money. I obviously won't be able to attend to help build.

BTW, I'm a newb at this forum and am so impressed with the people here!

Hefty

Loc.
Monument, CO
What would be the outcome of a project like this? Would we be looking to build a bronco and raffle it off or sell it with the contributions going to a charity for fallen warriors or????? Just curious. There are several deserving charities that could benefit from a donation like that.

There is a charity I have seen do incredible things for wounded warriors here in Colorado. They take soldiers who have come home from war injured and take them into nature to provide them the opportunity to hunt, fish, go on trail rides and so on. I think this would be a great charity to give to if that is the decision. Not that it would have to be the only one but it would be a start. WarriorsOutdoors.com

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
I'm SOOOO in it's not funny. I think a decal campaign would help with funding for those from a distance that want to contribute but can't labor wise. I too have a rolling '74 chassis/title with all running gear still in it but would need to be gone through. I think area fund raisers is an exceptional idea as well as sub assemblies being built under the coordination of one leader leading up to a group assembly somewhere.....make this happen guys. This could be the start of something VERY, VERY big. This could end as an ebay auction as well...

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Im in too - A few crazy ideas to get the juices flowing...

1) A modern take on the Stroppe Bronco. Similar color scheme and setup but different enough to not be a clone but close enough to capture the theme. Maybe a wide-bodied version?? That would be really slick.

2) A militarty themed Bronco - this always gets guys excited. Maybe something like a p-51 theme or really anything with military roots.

3) Balloon chaser! nah...

4) Big Oly clone!

Last edited:

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
100% in here..parts, money..whatever it takes. If I had any suggestion for a theme and objective, it would be do do a complete build for a Wounded Warrior. I don't quite know how to put this without seeming macabre somehow..but I hve a lot of experience with building/installing all the stuff required for someone who has lost their legs or the used of them. A neighbor and close friend is a former Marine and lost the use of his legs while in the service of our country. But nothing slows that man down or prevents him from living life to the max..I've customized and installed hand operation equipment in his Corvette, his 4x4 truck(s), made custom seating for his charter boat (he's now a licensed fishing charter captain) etc..etc. His name is Dan..and we all call him "Cap'n Dan'...a sideways tongue-in-cheek reference to the Lt. Dan character in Forest Gump. ;D

I've seen first hand that nothing keeps a good man or woman down..and if there is one who is just pining to be driving an EB then maybe we can find them?

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I'd like to see/help with a build for a fallen or disabled police officer or their family. I don't think it matters if they are local, county, state, or Federal, I think it is important to show support for those who protect our country here at home as well. Here in AZ we have a group called the 100 Club (www.100club.org), they benefit those who stand behind the badge and their families in a time of need. I was in law enforcement for almost 8.5 years, before retiring early due to injuries that I sustained in the line of duty, so I know first hand what our fallen/injured officers and their families go through while trying to cope and move on with their lives.

If we did a build for the family I think it would be great to do a build to raffle off at either their agencies benefit or at a large local to them Bronco event... The money raised could be donated to help the family out or go to a benefiting charity...

For an individual officer, we could present the build in the same manner. I think this would show the public that the off road community does care and does give back to their communities.

I support doing a project for a veteran also, but this touches close to home for me and would give us a chance to branch out and show the public just who we are and what we can do....

What do you guys think of this idea?

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
I'm in for cash and some parts.

It would be nice to keep the energy along the lines of those that have sacrificed directly - either wounded or lost.

I like both bmc's and needabronco's ideas.

Maybe come up with a list of the different ways it could be done, then allow those that are contributing to vote on the direction the project takes?

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Great ideas guys. Personally I think there is more "value" in giving the truck to someone deserving versus trying to auction it off.

But maybe a raffle could bring in more money than an auction. Maybe sell XXXX tickets at $YY apiece and all proceeds go to the charitable fund?

Actually the more I think about it the more I like the raffle idea. I'd contribute to the build AND purchase some tickets - it would be AMAZING to win!!!

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
great ideas are still coming! got a great group on here, let's prove it!

dvldavsangel

Whatever DvlDav and I can do to add a share to PayPal, we're in!

Sounds like a project started in the right direction! :cool:

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
I'm in.

I think we can help a greater number of people better using a raffle rather than just one soldier or family. Plus it will seem more fair.

Just my opinion and I am in either way with donation, parts and or labor if local enough.

shonivey

I think the sticker idea as a fundraiser for the project is great. I wonder if we could get bronco driver to donate a 3inch square to recognize the project. Granted it will have to be a few months down the road when the particulars are determined.
A raffle similar to Orange Crush maybe with a completion date to be determined once we are underway.
Let's keep the Ideas coming and as stated direct the positive energy we have generated.
thanks,
shon

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm in.

I think we can help a greater number of people better using a raffle rather than just one soldier or family. Plus it will seem more fair.

Just my opinion and I am in either way with donation, parts and or labor if local enough.

I agree with that assessment...but for some reason I'm drawn more to a project where I know specifically who its for and that that person wants it, will cherish it and will use it. Yes, more deserving folks would be helped some by the money raised and donated if that is the route everyone decides to tak. But the symbolism - the connection betwen the EB community and the funny little trucks we love -seems, to me, lost somehow if a rig was built solely for the purpose of converting the result in to cash.

just my .02...