• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Thoughts on Matte paint

PickleJar

So, as I have said before my Bronco's is in a state where preserving any patina it as is impossible. It had a very low quality restoration in the 90's that involved bad patches and a repaint in a different color. So my body will be a total redo.

Anyway I was thinking about doing the repaint in a factory color, but with a matte finish to give it an aged look. I know it's not the same as true patina, but I think it would look cool. It would be paired with all the original chrome like mirrors and door handles, which are aged. Its going to be an uncut stock height Bronco.

Considering:
Candy Apple Red (original color)
Sequoia Brown
Mallard Green
Limestone Green Poly
Medium Blue (mustang color)
Pebble Beige

Wondering what others think about this. Is there any special care I need to consider with matte paint?

Any feedback is welcome, you can't hurt my feelings...

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
I like matte too, but it is will take more work and patience than a conventional gloss paint job. You will need to get your prep work super straight or all flaws will show. You need a very dust free space to spray. You will not be able to touch up as easily as a gloss paint job. It will get dusty and you have to be careful with the products you use to clean or you'll get shiny spots. There are special cleaners for cleaning flat paint. Do a search and you'll find them. I seem recall using Windex without ammonia on flat black, but don't quote me on that. It has been a while and all my shit doesn't get washed much anyway.

All that aside...go for it! ;)

You also spray it with a cheap single stage gloss paint, drive it, and wait for it to fade. LOL

SP73

I painted mine matte white (well more satin than matte) a few years back. I used PPG single stage and a universal flattening agent. You can vary the amount of sheen from flat to eggshell by adding/subtracting the amount of flattening agent. The only thing you kind of need to be aware of is that matte paint will get shinier with washing. There are special cleaning products on the market to combat this though. I use Dr. Beasley’s matte paint care products, and have had good results (although it’s not cheap).

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
nice as a wrap I think, but paint? Not for me, any greasy dirty hands, boom! stain. I think it really is a fad...

SP73

nice as a wrap I think, but paint? Not for me, any greasy dirty hands, boom! stain. I think it really is a fad...

To each their own I suppose. That is what I wanted, so that’s what I did! I do seem to have a problem with keeping people’s hands off my Bronco(?), but have no stains. Grease and oil clean off nicely with the Dr. Beasley’s stuff.

OP
OP
P

PickleJar

This may be a dumb question but here it is...what happens when you put clear coat on matte paint? When you put a traditional base coat down it already has a gloss to it from what I’ve seen. The clear adds to the level of gloss once applied.

If you did a base coat in matte or flat, and then cleared it wouldn’t you still have an element of flatness? Has anyone ever tried it?

I’m not a paint guy so I wouldnt know?

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Base coat will go on wet and glossy, but dries matte or flat (prior to your clear). You could achieve the look you're looking for by simply spraying base coat on your rig, but you'd have not much chip or element protection and you'd quickly have a patina'd truck. It would look cool for a while though. ;)

RM70

This may be a dumb question but here it is...what happens when you put clear coat on matte paint? When you put a traditional base coat down it already has a gloss to it from what I’ve seen. The clear adds to the level of gloss once applied.

If you did a base coat in matte or flat, and then cleared it wouldn’t you still have an element of flatness? Has anyone ever tried it?

I’m not a paint guy so I wouldnt know?

You can get a matte clear coat now.

EODMike

You can get a matte clear coat now.

That's what I was going to say. I sprayed my Bronco with a "regular" dual stage paint, but used a matte clear. I like it, flaws and all. Just my opinion though.

johnbeck

You are wise in asking for other's opinion, paint is a long term, expensive decision. 73azbronco's advice on the spectrum of his posts is spot on. My personal choice is to find a couple of your favorite colors, have them mixed in aerosol spray cans, spray a couple of large pieces of metal. Put those panels where you will see them ever day(People do the same with paint samples on the side of their house). Wait at least couple of weeks before you make a decision you're going to live with for years. As far as finish, I personally would avoid satin or an ultra high gloss. Everyone has different tastes. That is just my likes for what it's worth. John B

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had it, looked awesome, couldn't repair it, ended up respraying my whole bronco! Giant pain.

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
Matte silver

Not my truck Matte silver 56 f100 picture doesn’t show it but the bed and cab are not the same sheen plus doing a panel repair not easy unless your painter has lots of experience with this kind of paint I wouldn’t do it . Icon bronco do a great job but big bucks

Attachments

• 6AE1DB13-2F78-41ED-803E-BFECA52EC6CB.jpg
    6AE1DB13-2F78-41ED-803E-BFECA52EC6CB.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 30