• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

thoughts on towing a camper

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
At a minimum, you need disc brakes and a booster. You could tow a small popup all day. Ours was 1200 lbs and 12 ft total length. I barely noticed it, didnt even dent the mileage of either truck. (Usually it was better with the trailer because it was largely highway)
popup-891475.jpg

16ft of hard sided camper is at my upper limit now with a Bronco equipped with 1/2 ton brakes, hydroboost, brake controller and a sway bar. I would recommend f/r sway bars. This camper is fairly light at 2600 lbs, but has serious wind drag and is tall. (Off road package)

I would not exceed 3000-3500lbs for a camper. My flatbed is bigger/heavier, but more stable towing due to lack of wind influence and being longer.
Camp01-727185.jpg

I also have a full cage just incase.

Digger what kind of camper is that in the second pic? Manufacture/model?
thx

Digger556

Digger what kind of camper is that in the second pic? Manufacture/model?
thx

Palomino Palomini 132fd (made by Forest River) Mine was a special edition with the OD green paint, interior trim and lift.

I believe they are out of production, but very similar to an RPOD 171. (Also Forest River product) I like the 132fd a little better. It has a wider body with integrated fenders, and less stuff hanging underneth, but it lacks the wet bath of the 171. Both are towable with a small vehicle.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Downhill while towing is not so much about brakes as it is about gear selection, slower speed, and NOT using brakes.

I just finished 3 months of hauling in my ram 1500 and regularly pushing it's 12,500lb limit on steep grades, never used the brakes, always the lower gear and the lower speed.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
use to tow a fairly large Popup trailer Starcraft venture 20 and now a Scamp 13. both had trailer brakes and were above the Broncos 1,000 lb limit by 50 percent. California limits speed to 55 mph. but you need to know how to load a trailer nose heavy. Neither one could carry water as the water tank was behind the trailer axle. with that much water you had to compensate with more nose weight which then puts you over the tongue weight. You also need a receiver hitch that mounts further up the frame rails. I do not condone my actions nor recommend anyone exceed the factory ratings but to each his own. The problem with towing trailers is when trouble comes it comes from going well to a catastrophe in a split second. I have been up close and personal to 3 trailer accidents seeing them happen live and every time the car / truck towing becomes a rag doll attached to the trailer going where it will. Its not a pretty sight at all and we were not involved. but we have sat in the roadway for several hours while authorities clear the road. you need a good brake controller within easy reach ready to hit the panic button within a split second. A friend of mine towing a smaller toy hauler which was empty except for a plastic folding table flipped the trailer going down hill, and he was a very safe guy. truck went buy him and the air blasting off him upset the trailer and off he went. without his normal load the tongue weight went light and out of control. He hasn't towed a trailer since.