• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Throttle linkage--upgrading carb and intake

matts70

Loc.
Northwest Indiana
I'm about to switch from a stock intake and 2100 carb to an Edelbrock Performer 289 and Edelbrock 500 cfm carb. It's a stock 302 in a '70 Bronco.

How did you guys connect your accelerator to the carb after making the change? Did you go straight from the accelerator mechanism (for lack of better term) attached to the firewall to the throttle on the carb with a rod? Did anybody re-use that intermediary pivot mounted on the intake on the stock setup?

I'm trying to figure out what is the best and safest way to go. If anyone has pictures, or link to pictures, that would be extremely handy! Thanks.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
BC Bronco's has a cable conversion for the EFI and carb setups. I don't have any experience with the carb one but with the EFI one the only complaint is the return spring rate needed changed on mine. It was easy and cheap to fix, overall I was happy with the results of mine. http://www.bcbroncos.com/fuelcarb.html

70_Steve

Old Guy
How did you guys connect your accelerator to the carb after making the change? Did you go straight from the accelerator mechanism (for lack of better term) attached to the firewall to the throttle on the carb with a rod? Did anybody re-use that intermediary pivot mounted on the intake on the stock setup?

I'm trying to figure out what is the best and safest way to go. If anyone has pictures, or link to pictures, that would be extremely handy! Thanks.
After having spent that much money, do yourself a favor and install a throttle cable. I've never seen anyone reuse that intermediate pivot on an aftermarket carb, but it might possible. My Bronco never had that pivot, and came right off the throttle bellcrank, on the firewall, direct to the carb.

I had a friend with a lathe make me a piece to attach the stock linkage to the carb. It worked fine except when wheeling. The engine would tend to "surge". That is, when I needed a little extra power, I'd step on the gas which would torque the engine over to the passenger side. This would tend to pull the throttle open a little farther than intended, so I'd let off of the gas. This would allow the engine to rock back to the drivers side and now give me less throttle than I wanted. And back and forth, back and forth... What a PIA!!!

Now, as luck (for you) would have it...;) Just this past week, I pulled my intake and carb to start my EFI conversion. I have a Lokar cable that's cut to just fit my Carter/Edelbrock carb, and a throttle cable bracket that I made myself, since I couldn't bring myself to pay that much for a piece of bent-up sheetmetal.

If you're interested in this cable and other attaching pieces, PM me and I'll take some pictures. Not sure if I have any pics of it installed, but it's worked great for the last 2 years. Unfortunately, the cables just a little short to attach to the throttle body, so I have to buy a new one.

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I had someone make me a rod like the one pictured here. It's a little short, but I was able to make it work for now.

Attachments

• MVC-002F.JPG
    MVC-002F.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 244

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Just reuse the bellcrank you may need a slightly longer rod to go from the bellcrank to the carb but I've never had a issue in over 30 years on my 73.
I still have the stock setup on my 71 and its a cluster but it appears I can run straight from the bell crank to the carb with the pieces that it has.

OP
OP
matts70

matts70

Loc.
Northwest Indiana
I was thinking you could just install a longer rod off the bell crank, but wasn't sure.

I just checked out the throttle cable at BC Bronco. A throttle cable looks like a decent way to go as well. How exactly do you connect the cable to the accelerator? Does the bell crank get removed?

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
I just installed the BC cable on my stock pedal & Q-jet carb. You'll have to trim the cable to fit & it snapped right on to the pedal. It comes w/ instructions & works great!

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I had someone make me a rod like the one pictured here. It's a little short, but I was able to make it work for now.

This is a good representation.
The intermediate bellcrank didn't come on all Broncos. It was made to give you better throttle control but wasn't made very well. Mine came with only the one on the firewall. It has a nice adjustable rod that goes to the throttle lever ball. Most owners get rid of the intermediate bellcrank and replace it with a longer rod. I've put in a cable type in my brothers Bronco and it was never as smooth as the old bellcrank.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The intermediate bellcrank didn't come on all Broncos.

Hmmm, never seen a Bronco without one? At least not before an owner modified it that is.
What years/models didn't come with them? Only on 6-cylinder models? Or others too? Just curious.
Thanks.

Paul

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
The pic Chief Master Seargent used is of my '73. I went from a stock 302 to the Edelbrock Performer "top end" package. Ultimately, I replaced the Edelbrock Performer carb with the Holley and the only difference in the installation between the 2 was needing to slightly bend the rod to clear the side of the Edelbrock (straightened back out for the Holley). Still works out great to this day although I still need to get a better return spring setup on there.

Kaptn Obvious

Loc.
Austin
In other projects I've made my own throttle cable. Its pretty easy.

In the help section at your local parts you'll find a a 3/8" X 3/4" pin with a 10-32 tapped hole in one end and a small hole drilled cross ways through it Screw that into the throttle linkage on the carb. Then go rob a 10 speed bike brake assembly for the mounts, cable and sleeve. On each end of the cable crimp and solider a ring connector to it. Slip the ring connector over the 3/8 stud followed by a washer and cotter pin & you're in business. Just make sure you get the cable length right before you solider it all together.

It's a quick and cheap setup and it looks nice and clean when you're done.

I have yet to do this to the truck, but I have an Edelbrock 500 sitting on a shelf in the garage waiting for it's day. I have bigger fish to fry first.(transmission, transfer case, front axle, and a new fuel system ;D)

hope that helps!

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
The pic Chief Master Seargent used is of my '73. I went from a stock 302 to the Edelbrock Performer "top end" package. Ultimately, I replaced the Edelbrock Performer carb with the Holley and the only difference in the installation between the 2 was needing to slightly bend the rod to clear the side of the Edelbrock (straightened back out for the Holley). Still works out great to this day although I still need to get a better return spring setup on there.

So that's who sent me this picture. Thanks brother! Helped me out a lot.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Hmmm, never seen a Bronco without one? At least not before an owner modified it that is.
What years/models didn't come with them? Only on 6-cylinder models? Or others too? Just curious.
Thanks.

Paul

My '77 came stock without an intermediate bellcrank. It lookes just like the photo. The rod to the carb is threaded for easy length adjustment. It has snapped right onto the ball on all the 2bbl carbs as well as the Edelbrock that is on it now.