• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tom Woods off-set u-joint

bob_lafrentz

Loc.
Cody, WY
Hi all,

Is anybody using one of these? How do you like it? How do you have it set up on your drive shaft and what types of angles are you running it at? How about speeds (any vibration issues)?

Thanks.

la77

Loc.
Alexandria LA
I think they are not intended for hwy use. not sure but I was lookin at them like a year ago and that turned me off of them.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
Many of my friends run them in the front shafts with no problems.
When I loose a front one, I will stab one in as well.
They do say they have like a 35mph limit on them, so you can't run one in the rear.

OP
OP
bob_lafrentz

bob_lafrentz

Loc.
Cody, WY
Yeah, I was thinking about using one for the front drive shaft. But, I'm real concerned about vibrations and the whole low RPM deal.

OP
OP
bob_lafrentz

bob_lafrentz

Loc.
Cody, WY
Bob, are you stil fighting this battle? What did you not like about the 1310/1330 swap?

Ben

Hey Bigmuddy,

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do. I was pulled away from the Bronco for awhile due to some big home projects and work, but I'm getting back at her.
But, the 1310/1330 hybrid... I spoke with MANY driveline shops and they all told me they would not build it. They said that once the CV joint flexes to a certain point, the pin will pop out of the universal ball joint (all laymen's terms). Once this happens, the CV will gernade.
So, instead they all reccomend a 42-degree CV joint and most are $800-$1000 with all the flanges I need to convert from a 1310 setup.
I'm just looking for something more reasonable. With that being said, I found a guy on ebay that is selling some new off-brand ujoints (the 1310-1330 style). I can get two of them for $15.00. I sent him a message asking him how much for a 1330 H-yoke. I think I am going to just go ahead and experiment with this design. If it doesn't work out, I'll only be out $50 or so.

If anyone has any thoughts on this hybrid CV joint, please chime in as there is very limited information on it. Probably for the reason stated above.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Bob, that may be I don't work my truck that hard but it was recommended to me by an offroad competitor that runs one in his buggy and has beat the snot out of his for several seasons racing/crawling and it's still living. Can't get better than that for me. Let us know how the hybrid joint works out.

Ben

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Mr. N, no I don't have a link but what they do is use a 1310 joint in a 1330 CV-joint. Brian Wickert who runs his buggy regularly in competition has been running this front combo for quite awhile without problems or breakdowns. I bought a new driveshaft through Wild horses with the 1310/1330 shaft/joint to use on my rig and purchased this shaft, works like a champ.

Ben