• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Top end kit with Pro-Flo 4 for EB?

SamD

I want to wake up my stock 1975 just a little and was considering the E-Street performance package that includes cam, timing chain, heads, and intake. At the same time I would like to convert to EFI and I was considering the Pro-Flow 4, but don’t see a package that contains both of these together.

The existing engine is the very stock original 302.

Any recommendations on available packages that contain both, or alternatives that accomplish the same thing?

I know I could do this cheaper by doing the salvage yard treasure hunt, but at this point I would prefer to purchase the complete kit or kits.

Sam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

idus25

Loc.
St. Louis
I run the Edelbrock Power Package (302) with Fi-Tech, power adder 600HP, MSD, etc.... Love it. Fi-Tech is not controlling the timing.

However, that Pro-Flow 4 has direct injection and a tablet (love gadgets). If you get a system put on be sure and let me know what you think.

Good luck

jagbucket

yeah that funny i just asked jon about that , he did a unboxing and said there was an install video months ago and we are still waiting. so broncoless all this time?

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
He says it installed and he's editing the video for publishing.

fishinman78

Contributor
Love my Pro Flo 4.

I know that doesn't help much on the top end question.

It started first time, set the timing, base idle and never looked back!!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I worry the bottom end will be wrong for what is going on here. Stock 40+ year old bottom end. A good top end that will probably add 50% to the power, or should. That could push the bottom end into needing a rebuild after a couple of drives.

The bigger issue I am having is compression ratio. The '75 should have low compression dished pistons. Those are not likely a good match to that top end kit.

Please call the tech support. I am betting they would like to see a fresh bottom end, probably with some flat top pistons.

jagbucket

Its never a been a good idea to put a new heads on old rings and bearings almost always makes a smoker out of an engine that maybe didnt smoke before .

OP
OP
SamD

SamD

I guess I don’t understand the physics of how making an engine breath better by adding lest restrictive heads, better timings, changing lift and duration of valves, and better exhaust, will cause it to “smoke” or require a rebuild.

I think the original 302’s were capable a easily handling way more than the 120HP they reduced them to for emission’s specs they were working to obtain.

I do get that more HP could lead to more abuse, but that is a completely different root cause (right foot) than these upgrades.

It is very possible there is something here I don’t understand so please correct me where I’m wrong.

Sam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Engines wear. A low power engine will run just fine with weak rings and tired bearings. Just isn't stressed enough to be an issue. There are a lot of people that did a head job (stock heads, just refreshed) and that brought back the cylinder pressure to the point that the tired rings could no longer hold back cylinder pressures. Now the bottom end needed a rebuild to survive a stock (in good condition) top end.

It's mostly a case of cylinder pressure. That good top end makes more power because there is more cylinder pressure (and often at a higher RPM). You don't realize the wear level of the bottom end because the top end is the limiting factor right now.