• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

torque converter recommendation

ltatro

Loc.
Michigan
What's your thoughts on a torque converter , aftermarket? NOS ? Motor is a 97 Explorer with the C4 trans, everything is pretty much stock with exception of headers. Stall speed?

Lttrbox

Loc.
IF
Whats your use? Heres where Im at. Got an AOD with wide ratio gears and 4.88 axles. First torque converter (not sure of brand). Stall is somewhere in the 1800 range. Works good on the street, but too high in the rocks. Ive had this converter in the rocks numberous occassions. Heres the prob. I had to get the motor up to the stall speed to go up waterfalls and such (more or less 2 and 3 foot vertical edges). Once the truck starts to move, LAUNCH, damn near into trees and whatever. Replaced it with a stall around 1000 to 1200, dramatic difference in the rocks. Then again mines pretty much a rock crawler although this combo works pretty good on the street too.

Got basically a brand new 1800 converter if your interested.

OP
OP
L

ltatro

Loc.
Michigan
vehicle use

I basically use this as a driver, very little off road use, at the most some sand duning, two tracking. It's more of a drive to the beach bronco. Thanks, Tater

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
%) %) %) With the typ of driveing you are going to do I would say go with a stock one they work good for that and are less trouble. Also if you get into stall typ you run into more heat and heat is what kills auto's good luck.;D ;D ;D Bill :cool: %) :p