• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Track bar bushing spacing? death wobble

rzorrilla2348

Hey folks, I recognize there's already many threads on the "death wobble"... and from them I determined it was likely my bushings. So i changed them and reduced the wobble a good amount... but I'm still experiencing a slight stuttering when I brake ...5-30mph range.

Question> The PO had a metal plate between the bushing and bar drop bracket. But when I changed the bushings it appears unnecessary as things looked quite snug. Is anyone else using spacers or are just using the bushings enough? Both Frame and axle mounts.

here's some pics for your review. Maybe you can see something...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vbhkzg04dqk0qlm/IMG_0050.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8926qsrhova2z93/IMG_2662.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jpz9lvfex9ld76l/IMG_2866.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t7k38696fcxe66r/IMG_5916.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/33txopw7jduwb7f/IMG_9736.JPG?dl=0

76' 3.5" Lift...

Cheers

Last edited:

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
75% of death wobble is from a bad track bar bushing, the other 25% is from the track bar bolt holes becoming egg shaped as a result of a worn bushing beating the crap out of the track bar bolts. Remove the track bar and put the bolt through the hole and see if it has slack. It should fit through prefectly. The fix is weld the hole smaller and re drill with the proper bit. A 10 minute fix that most people miss.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth slowly while it is parked and you are under the front end watching what parts have the slack. That seems to be the easiest way to nail it down in my opinion. Just my 2 cents!
Have a good one and good luck!

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You mention you are getting when braking? Have you confirmed your drums or rotors are not out of round or warpped? Typical cause of this is overheating (heavy high speed braking).

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
wobble

You also need the correct geometry for your lift and may need an adjustable track bar and/or drop bracket. A good alignment shop can advise you.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey folks, I recognize there's already many threads on the "death wobble"... and from them I determined it was likely my bushings. So i changed them and reduced the wobble a good amount...

Death Wobble shakes the crap out of the whole vehicle and makes you piss in your pants and pull over to the side of the road for a good cry or to laugh out loud hysterically the first time you experience it.
Anything less is just another normal wobble. And either could come from bad tires.

but I'm still experiencing a slight stuttering when I brake ...5-30mph range.

Is it shaking the steering wheel, or are you just feeling it through the pedal or truck? If the wheel, it could still be the tires, or the brakes like was mentioned.
If it's just shuddering and you feel it in general or the pedal, it's very possibly the brakes. But maybe you've felt that before and this isn't the same?

Question> The PO had a metal plate between the bushing and bar drop bracket. But when I changed the bushings it appears unnecessary as things looked quite snug. Is anyone else using spacers or are just using the bushings enough? Both Frame and axle mounts.

Never seen spacers there. Can you show us what they were? And was the lower one in addition to the two washers still in place?
But more to your question, no it's not common and if it doesn't look like you need them then you don't. At least not to my knowledge. We still seem some strange things on Broncos around here!

Were the old bushings original rubber with the vulcanized inner sleeve? Or were they already polyurethane like you have in there now? If original style, that might be why they needed spacers.

Is the trackbar drop bracket welded to the original, or just bolted in place? Should be welded.

76' 3.5" Lift...

Hmm, can you shoot a pic of the whole steering linkage from the front? And a good side shot of the trackbar bracket from the side? From here it doesn't look like a '76, but it could be the angle of the camera or the drop bracket.

How does it drive normally? And have you had it long? Did this wobble thing just start, or has it been doing it all along?
Have you rotated the tires front to back to see if it changes the wobble some more?

Good luck.

Paul

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
I didnt see any spacers. Just the outside edges of the bushings. Idk. Maybe im not lookin in the right place. The bottom nut has an extra washer on it but i dont see an issue with that

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I'd check the rigidity of the bracket as Paul noted and have someone move the steering wheel back and forth while you're down there checking on things as langester stated.

Definitely 76-77 track bar bracket and it appears the inverted-y/Halltenberger steering linkage is still in place.

Todd Z.