• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Transfer Case Issues...

huntinut

Loc.
Lynchburg, VA
First off, I am new to this whole EB thing and this is my first post on CB. Bought a 73 about a month ago, and have been slowly trying to get it road worthy. It's a 302, automatic. It's a J-shift.

The only time I can get it to engage is in the 4L position, and it sure doesn't feel like 4L. Feels more like 2WD. I can put it into both 4H and 2H, but it doesn't seem to do anything. When the J-shifter is "in" either the 4H or 2L position, and I shift from Neutral to Park I get a high pitched buzz from the T-case that slowly winds down. When I drive it in what it thinks is 4L, I get a lot of clunking and sometimes it sounds like the flexplate is hitting something while spinning. It will even sometimes do this when the truck is in Park. Any ideas or things to try to further diagnose the problem?

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Is your shifter hitting the body? this would limit it's function. things like a body lift will cause this.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Do you have drive shafts in it? The buzzing sound is from you putting it in park when the transfer case is still spinning. Sometimes these cases need to be moving just a little to get them to go into bear. Also the J shifter can be a little sloppy and not work well.

OP
OP
huntinut

huntinut

Loc.
Lynchburg, VA
It's got driveshafts in it. The J-shifter has a TON of play in it. A buddy of mine got it in gear, but it still seems like it making racket in the T-case or tranny.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
JB fab makes a great twin stick,

doran4x

Contributor
Open up the inspection cover and take a look at the gear teeth. You may have something broken in there.

Myllo73

My tcase was doing the same thing you describe. I decided to just pull and rebuild it. The shifter had a lot of slop. When I got it pulled apart I couldn't see any problem with it. The edge of a few gears were worn from me trying to shift it. It didn't matter if I rolled a little or not. I'm also installing a twin stick when it goes back in. You could always try the twin stick setup first and if that doesn't fix it you can look further.