• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Transmission / Engine Bolt Up Questions

zdaily

Loc.
Rogue River, OR
I have a 79 Ford with NP435 and NP205 that I want to put in my bronco. The question: it has a 400 motor, will the transmission bolt to a 351W / 302?

Thanks for your help.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Do not use the 400 bellhousing. Use the original 3 speed bellhousing off the small block and it will work fine.

OP
OP
zdaily

zdaily

Loc.
Rogue River, OR
I have an automatic, but I'm sure I could find a 3 speed bellhousing. What about a C6 that's bolted to a 400, can you change the bellhousing on that as well so it would work with a 351 / 302?

bax

Contributor
Old Member
The 400 has a big block bolt pattern.
The C 6 is a one peice case.
You need a small block c6 to put behind the W motor
The 435 will work with a standard 3 speed bellhousing
The 400 will fit in the EB
The W is a better fit.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have an automatic, but I'm sure I could find a 3 speed bellhousing.
Good, that is what you need. Does not need to be a Bronco 3 speed bellhousing, truck 4 speeds work as well. As long as they came off 300 straight 6, 302 or 351W.

What about a C6 that's bolted to a 400, can you change the bellhousing on that as well so it would work with a 351 / 302?
To change the bellhousing on a C6, you replace the whole transmission case. It is cast as one part. At that point it is usually just easier to replace the whole transmission.