• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Transporting Transmission and Transfer Case

hossbronco

Contributor
I’m about to transport a Bronco from Utah to Texas. The Bronco is currently missing a lot of components, including the engine, transmission, and transfer case. The engine is still on backorder, but I do have a newly rebuilt 6R80 on a wooden pallet and a new Atlas 2 transfer case.

It would simplify my move if I could install these two components into the Bronco, but I’m reluctant to transport it with just the single Advance Adapters crossmember for support, since there’s no engine. I’d be curious if any of you have any experience with this. Can I transport the Bronco with the transmission and transfer case supported by just the crossmember? If not, what about just the transfer case (with no transmission to balance out the crossmember)?

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I would figure out a way to hold the front of the tranny up with chain or something like romex wire. Perhaps up to the hood hinges or something else very strong. Good luck

armynavy17

Contributor
Obviously this is going on a trailer, any chance you can just load them both on the trailer and strap them down?

If there isn't room, what about securing them in the cab of the bronco?

I suppose worse comes to worse you could install them and just ratchet strap both ends to provide some more support over just the crossmember.

OP
OP
hossbronco

hossbronco

Contributor
Certainly there are other, less convenient options. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t being extra before I ruled out the most convenient one. I’ll find the space to do it right. There’s no sense in spending all this money on premium parts just to ruin them by being careless.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I’m about to transport a Bronco from Utah to Texas. The Bronco is currently missing a lot of components, including the engine, transmission, and transfer case. The engine is still on backorder, but I do have a newly rebuilt 6R80 on a wooden pallet and a new Atlas 2 transfer case.

It would simplify my move if I could install these two components into the Bronco, but I’m reluctant to transport it with just the single Advance Adapters crossmember for support, since there’s no engine. I’d be curious if any of you have any experience with this. Can I transport the Bronco with the transmission and transfer case supported by just the crossmember? If not, what about just the transfer case (with no transmission to balance out the crossmember)?
Ok, but I don't see a huge problem.

Assuming that you have the crossmember, then the transfer case will balance against the 6R80. But it's going to be front heavy. A wooden 2x4 can be bolted to the bell housing and straddle the frame. Use nylock nuts so they don't vibrate loose. Don't hang anything on the body or any sheet metal. Do NOT hang the torque converter on the transmission.

I don't see how you can hang the atlas by itseelf without the mount. and the mount is part of the transmission. so don't.

OP
OP
hossbronco

hossbronco

Contributor
Ok, but I don't see a huge problem.

Assuming that you have the crossmember, then the transfer case will balance against the 6R80. But it's going to be front heavy. A wooden 2x4 can be bolted to the bell housing and straddle the frame. Use nylock nuts so they don't vibrate loose. Don't hang anything on the body or any sheet metal. Do NOT hang the torque converter on the transmission.

I don't see how you can hang the atlas by itseelf without the mount. and the mount is part of the transmission. so don't.
Why not install the torque converter on the transmission? I’ve got a steel bar that could bolt to the front to keep the torque converter in place and keep it from spinning (see the photo).

Also, the Atlas 2 transfer case adapter bolts to the transmission and bolts to the transfer case, so you could install one without the other (see other photo). Of course it would be unbalanced, hence my reluctance.

Like I said, I’m going to just ship them outside of the Bronco, but I was considering installing the torque converter just to keep any debris away from the pump.

Attachments

• B32D05DA-075C-4AB4-9624-67A1FA50A72F.jpeg
    B32D05DA-075C-4AB4-9624-67A1FA50A72F.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 11
  • F3C78758-6BA4-40EC-9CE7-B55782711F53.jpeg
    F3C78758-6BA4-40EC-9CE7-B55782711F53.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Yes, put the torque converter on, and use something to solidly retain it in the bellhousing. It doesn't matter if it spins. After resting the trans/t-case assembly in-place on the crossmember close to the correct angle, set a 2x4 or 2x6 across the frame rails, bolt it to the face of the bellhousing, and ratchet-strap it down to the frame so it can't slide or bounce.

(click this text)

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Why not install the torque converter on the transmission? I’ve got a steel bar that could bolt to the front to keep the torque converter in place and keep it from spinning (see the photo).

Also, the Atlas 2 transfer case adapter bolts to the transmission and bolts to the transfer case, so you could install one without the other (see other photo). Of course it would be unbalanced, hence my reluctance.

Like I said, I’m going to just ship them outside of the Bronco, but I was considering installing the torque converter just to keep any debris away from the pump.
The front pump bushing was never designed to hold the torque converter without the crankshaft pilot holding the other end. I suppose if you seated the converter and made a bracket to support it that it would survive the trip. I’ve seen a couple of front pump failures, and cracked snouts on torque converters, so I wouldn’t.

As far as the atlas adapter, I consider the tailhousing to be part of the transmission. If you want to call the atlas adapter part of the transfer case, then that’s fine. I just need to adopt your language. Regardless of what you call the thing that has the rear engine mount attached to it, we both agree that you don’t want to hang the transfer case off of it without the transmission.

OP
OP
hossbronco

hossbronco

Contributor
The front pump bushing was never designed to hold the torque converter without the crankshaft pilot holding the other end. I suppose if you seated the converter and made a bracket to support it that it would survive the trip. I’ve seen a couple of front pump failures, and cracked snouts on torque converters, so I wouldn’t.

As far as the atlas adapter, I consider the tailhousing to be part of the transmission. If you want to call the atlas adapter part of the transfer case, then that’s fine. I just need to adopt your language. Regardless of what you call the thing that has the rear engine mount attached to it, we both agree that you don’t want to hang the transfer case off of it without the transmission.
Thanks for the input. I can just wrap the pump shaft to keep it clean. Again, no point in pushing it.

I don’t consider the adapter to be part of the transmission or the transfer case. I just consider it to be an adapter.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Might try using a 2x4 across the frame rails at the firewall and tying into that and using the tranny mount.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Again, no point in pushing it.
The full torque converter alone is not a significant load on that shaft or nosepiece. Ford & all rebuilders I've dealt with ship new TCs installed on rebuilt transmissions. The transmission input shafts help prevent the TC's internal components from being damaged, and the TC seals the front of the transmission.
I don’t consider the adapter to be part of the transmission...
Ford does. 140 & 149 are both transmission extension housings. Not adapter housings.

(click this text)

AJH

Contributor
Loc.
Dallas

I transported mine across town (Dallas) with the Dana 20 / C4 / crossmember without the engine, with a ratchet strap across the frame rails holding up the bell housing, wouldn't have done it across country as it bounced a bit that way, the 2x4 suggestion is the way to go as others have said. I'm about to re-install the c4 / dana 20 + cross member and will put the 2x4 in to support the front until I'm ready to put the engine back in.