• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trivia: Which Fluid is this?

bayoubronco

Anyone venture a guess on this. This is one of the many contaminated materials as part of draing fluids for my project. I suspect this group will be more keen than my support group I usually text these to was.
(big day working on it; so sorry if you have to wait till this evening...:)

Attachments

• 20211011_115630.jpg
    20211011_115630.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 60

cannunz546

Contributor
Bronco Owner and Admirer
Loc.
Northwest Suburbs, Chicago
I'll bite. I know just enough to be dangerous. Gear fluid (differential?). My rear differential doesn't have any way to change/drain the fluid so that's how we do mine (like in your picture).

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Or just really old cruddy (and likely waterlogged) gasoline.
We need smell-a-vision added to the new forum software so we can really tell what's what!

Paul

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It looks like gasoline. Just like a bunch of Broncos that I have drained! Probably the inside of the tank in the bottom has inches of 'tar'...

OP
OP
bayoubronco

bayoubronco

This one is gas. Its probably 8 years old and stinks like crazy. I had to toss the gloves and jeans it spilt on. The tank is layered in crud but no punch through and is in the "to be cleaned" pile.

Attachments

• 20211013_131027.jpg
    20211013_131027.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20211019_144851.jpg
    20211019_144851.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20211019_145354.jpg
    20211019_145354.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 12

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Blinker fluid.

What does it smell like? Bad gas smells very different than burned ATF, gear oil is yet a different smell.

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This one is gas. Its probably 8 years old and stinks like crazy. I had to toss the gloves and jeans it spilt on. The tank is layered in crud but no punch through and is in the "to be cleaned" pile.
You will be miles ahead to install one of the new steel replacement tanks. It's impossible to get the old tank clean unless you cut it open, clean it, weld it back, then seal it with a tank sealer. Why? I've tried! ... It's cost prohibitive and it's really not as good as a new one.

OP
OP
bayoubronco

bayoubronco

The smell is definitely a ripe sharp and pungent like an acid or..um...aged gas. there's not any type of burnt smell; which would be a big clue.

OP
OP
bayoubronco

bayoubronco

Thanks for the input on new! I do have a swanky new tank and sending unit, prepped for install! I have done a few motorcycle tanks; but, this one I heeded a few recommendations on not chasing it! (to clarify, the new tank install is for project timeline and headache; the original tank is in the pile of original parts, trying to save for a later date.)

Last edited:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Anyone venture a guess on this. This is one of the many contaminated materials as part of draing fluids for my project. I suspect this group will be more keen than my support group I usually text these to was.
(big day working on it; so sorry if you have to wait till this evening...:)

no thanks lol