• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trouble going into 2nd gear

TheFlyingFist

Loc.
Seattle
Hey Bronco Fam,

There were a couple things I did to do this and I need your help narrowing down before I pull things apart.

1. Just installed 3-Speed Hurst shifter. Made sure everything was aligned to neutral when installing. Seems to shift through all gears when car is off.
  2. Adjusted clutch rod. At first I shortened it to allow for more slack but didn't like the feel, so I lengthened the rod again.

When taking her out for a test drive, reverse and 1st works just fine. However, shifting into 2nd gear grinds and wont engage. I was successful 1-time shifting it into 2nd gear at a higher speed, but would grind again after trying several times.

Question? Should I re-adjust the clutch rod to be longer or is it a linkage problem?

Note: When car is off, I can shift the stick into Reverse through 3rd w/o pressing down on the clutch. Is that normal?

Appreciate all the help. I've learned a great deal through Classic Broncos. I hope to contribute soon.

Thanks,
Neil

WP_20130713_010_zpsf03a6add.jpg

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
When aligning in neutral did you use the neutral key?
Adjust your clutch rod for about 1" of pedal free play.
Try puting in 1st gear, remove 1st gear rod from transmission and see if there is more room to shift lever.
With the truck off it can shift thru all gears with no clutch. This may not always be the case though depending on the load on the tranny.
What condition is the clutch in? Have you checked tranny level or replaced ?
Could be a failing syncro.