• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trouble removing hard top

morencycollege

Hi:
Does anyone have advice for me on removing the hard top from my '73? Specifically the rear insert posts don't want to come out any more than a few inches without binding up. I gotta get the top off to get some work done on it.
thanks for any help

No Hay

Bronco Guru
Pry them up with blocks of wood and a long bar.

Then be sure to grind them down or cut them off for ease of future removal (very common).

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
remove all the lower bolts and loosen the top bolts on the rear pillers. normally you only have to remove the lower bolts.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Prob got a little rust and the beds tend to spread out on in with time
You can loosen and remove all the rear bolts and that might help.
Watch the paint

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
Yeah, I remember the 1st time I took the hardtop off my '72 EB. did NOT realize there were a pair of bolts at the rear I didn't see. Couldn't figure out why the heck the top would NOT release. Pesky bolts! Once I found them and removed the same, top came off easily. I'm just gonna say I'm glad I found them before I put the hi-lift jack to it. Lol
Randy

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Tip #1: Loosen the windshield wiper motor! If you didn't already, loosening it and letting it hang back a bit lets you get that little extra angle on the rear brackets.

Paul