• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Turbo mufflers vs. chambered

powersjh

Recently purchased a bronco with flowmaster 40 series mufflers, too loud for my nieghborhood. Wanted to quiet it down without affecting performance. Do I go with turbo-style mufflers or chambered? I didn't really want to reconfigure the exhaust system, it's one of the few things that isn't 40+ years old on the truck, just wanted to swap mufflers. Can't seem to get a straight answer with online research.

Lennardlector

Contributor
I had a 74 FJ40 that I dropped a Chevy 350 into, during the build I decided to add custom headers to a flowmaster 40. I was 27 at the time and "noise" was still cool to me but this setup was obnoxious.

After days of research I dropped in a dynomax super turbo muffler and called it a day. Nice v8 rumble at idle but no droning or annoying humming at speed. This was with a fully linex'd cab, dynomat doors and fully dynomat roof and headliner.

I don't know what's currently installed in my bronco but I'm replacing them with the dynomax. I haven't tried any other of their mufflers but the super turbo is their quietest.

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Though they won't last as long as chambered, I like the tone of cheap turbos best.
Ditto!

You might be best off running a flowmaster 50 series instead. If you're lucky you can find a can in the same dimensions as your 40's and simply swap them out.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I just installed a 50 series in, and I'm actually surprised at how quiet it can be at cruise and idle! But if you get on it, your neighbors will still know your around ...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The difference between chambered and turbo isn't so much "loud" but in "tone". They have different sounds to each of them. Then there are different levels of each that can further affect the volume.

If you are after something that will be more friendly to your neighbors, I would suggest more of the turbo style. Even a stock replacment type (find something that came from the factory with fairly good HP and was quiet). Also a pair of stock replacments have been done with good results. I wouldn't recomend a chambered muffler for neighborhood friendly, I had a 70 series that wasn't bad but still had lots of sound to it.

Sound is kinda like HP, A dB level is based on both the height (energy) of the waves and the frequency. Chambered tend to leave the high enery level but only in the lower frequencys. So it is technically low dB levels, but the waves still hit hard. And it is the low frequencys that drum walls, rattle windows, the thumping subwoofer that just makes annoying noises without actually being music.

Also be prepared that part of the seat of the pants power experience is the sound. It can be just as fast, but done quietly and it will feel less powerful. Lacking the sound removes on of the senses of powerful.

RT

Bronco Guru
Have you thought about adding a couple resonators? Worked to quiet down my flowmaster just right'

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Unless your an exhaust note snob any Turbo muffler will satisfy your need for fewer db's than a Flowmaster 40.
50 and 70 series "Delta Flow" Flowmasters are rather quiet with little drone on the highway but are expensive. A cheap Turbo muffler can be had for as little as $30 bucks, but you do get what you pay for. For about $60 you can get a Dynomax Super Turbo and they do sound a little cooler ie mellower, smoother but still have a great high rpm sound.
Anyway almost anything will be quieter and less obnoxious than a non "Delta-Flow" 40.

Ranchtruck

I ran a cherry bomb glasspack on one car I had after I swapped to a different engine and lifted it and the exhaust was pretty annoying. I swapped in a flowmaster 40 and it was pretty close to the same noise level. Then I welded the cherry bomb in the middle as a resonator and the combination of the two was perfect. The best comment I got was "How can two things known for being loud be so quiet when used together?"

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
I really like the way that my truck sounds with the MagnaFlow 2 into 1 that I put under it but sometimes it is a bit much. However, not changing anything till I get the Carpet and dynomat put down because im sure that will make a big difference. ;D

01Dudley

Loc.
Knoxville
CHERRYBOMB VORTEX is designed to have a deep tone, no inside cruising drone, and still outflows a 40 series by upto 30%. A turbo is a little more restrictive than a chambered muffler(Flowmaster) and this is why it is quieter. Let us know if we(DUFF's) can help you with your decision.

VORTEX $75ea
TURBO $35ea

Plus they come with a vintage CHERRYBOMB decal.;)