• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Turbo mufflers

Crhawkins79

Hey guys got a question about turbo mufflers. I am in the process of deciding what type of exhaust to go with. How does the turbos compare to like a magnaflow, or Borla as far as loudness and tone?

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey guys got a question about turbo mufflers. I am in the process of deciding what type of exhaust to go with. How does the turbos compare to like a magnaflow, or Borla as far as loudness and tone?
the turbos i have used are quiet until you get on it, then it has a sweet exhaust note. world of difference between magnaflow, borla, flowmaster, etc. Turbos dont catch the police's attention like the others.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, Turbos for my 65 Mustang and I love them. Had Midas brand from '89-19 (same mufflers, 120k miles), and my exhaust guy replaced them with I believe Dynomax? Everything else annoyingly loud. I have now discontinued Flowmaster Hushpowers on Tampico and they are a glasspack thats sort of loud...may go turbos soon.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Turbos are a little louder than a stock muffler, quieter than any muffler advertised as a performance muffler.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And don’t forget the fact that every “turbo muffler“ might be different from brand to brand.
They may share some design characteristics, or they may share none. But they are all slight variations on the same theme from the original Corvair turbo muffler.
Although the stock Corvair turbo muffler is annoyingly loud, most aftermarket turbos are as the others have described. Very mellow and quiet.
I have generic turbos in my 71 and they were great. Almost too quiet in fact, but still much better than the glass packs I had before.
My next set will be the Dynomax super turbos because I want a little better sound and hopefully performance too.
Not based on personal experience yet, but based on an episode of engine masters when they were testing different muffler designs.
The results were very good.
A high mark for a baffled turbo design.

I’m still a fan of straight through types like Magnaflow’s, and would love to try the straight through Dynomax ultra flows, but I’m probably going to try the super turbos first.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a borla single 2.5 in 2.5 out and it’s pretty quiet, it was actually too quiet but after about a year got just right

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used to sell a lot of Gibson straight through mufflers and they were a great compromise on the big Broncos and F150s.
Super quiet at idle and part throttle, no drone, but pretty loud went on the gas.
Installed one of the same ones in the 2 1/2 inch variety on a 77 bronco and it was the most obnoxiously loud exhaust on a bronco I’d ever heard!
Just shows you never can tell.

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have the 2 into 1 BC Broncos exhaust with a Magnaflow Muffler. Sounds quiet at idle but has a nice tone under acceleration.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It’s amazing what you like in your 20s compared what you like in your 50s.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I loved the raspy tone of the old Corvair Turbo mufflers. It reminded me of the chase scene on Bullitt. But the new Dynomax Super Turbos are a different design. They have open tubes with baffles at the ends to direct the flow. On the old ones all the flow had to go through the little holes. I'd imagine the Super Turbos flow better.