• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Turn signal cancel cam

Laker

Where can I get this part? I believe this is what I need as my turn signal will not return to neutral. I’m half deaf so I don’t hear the signal still flashing until the wife mentions it.

omureebe

So bringing this up again.... I see there are turn signal cancel cams that have one hump and others that have two humps.

Is there a reason for this? Mine turns off on right hand turns only and it's a one hump, so guessing I need the two hump???

Thanks all!
Omar

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
The two hump one will cancel the turn signal sooner as the wheel returns to neutral.

If yours is not cancelling after a left turn, you probably have a broken arm on your turn signal switch.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
So bringing this up again.... I see there are turn signal cancel cams that have one hump and others that have two humps.

Is there a reason for this? Mine turns off on right hand turns only and it's a one hump, so guessing I need the two hump???

Thanks all!
Omar

Two humps were from the factory. One hump is typical aftermarket parts not matching stock.

1970 Palmer

The 1960's Ford OE turn signal switch has to be one of the "worst ever" designs by any manufacturer.

Back in the late 1960's, it was a daily service department item replaced. The hot Arizona temperature, and the poor design made them fail even when they were still relatively new vehicles.

I had it down to about 10 minutes max, to install.

I used a home made tool made from a 3/16" welding rod, sharpened to a point. Hook the tool's point into a wire end, and push them one at a time down the column. It took longer to go to the parts department and fill out the work order.

John

armynavy17

Contributor
Learn something new every day, didn't know the turn signal wasn't completely manual, mine sure is!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
hah! Yep, probably a lot of owners in your boat. Most of them have broken long ago, and it was up to the PO's to change them. And a lot never bothered...

In my area it was always the cold that got them. Not hot enough for an early death, but after they get old the cold makes up for that longevity when the plastic gets brittle.

I wonder which vehicles had the single cam and which had the double? As mentioned earlier the Broncos had doubles, but maybe the really early Mustangs had singles? Everybody tries to sell Mustang parts as original Bronco parts, but that only works some of the time.

Paul

BRONCITIS74

Just installed mine yesterday. Plastic cancelling cam is very tight on steering wheel hub. I got mine from Tom's, #3797. Had to use a snap ring pliers to open up the cam so it would fit on the steering wheel hub. Good luck!

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
maybe the really early Mustangs had singles? Everybody tries to sell Mustang parts as original Bronco parts, but that only works some of the time.

I have a 1964-1/2 Mustang that was built in the first three weeks of Mustang production. Double hump cam on the steering wheel.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So much for that theory then!
Maybe they just lost something in the translation between the English and Chinese languages.

Paul

jckkys

Bronco Guru
It's kind of personal preference. I like the single hump that doesn't cancel in lane changes. Ford got around to fixing the turn signal switch in '78. They last several times as long as the earlier ones and the have a momentary or lane change function.

omureebe

Well looks like the arm broke, hence the issue. Frankly I couldn't fully understand that article http://www.stratadrome.com/bronco/steering.htm as the pictures aren't clear at all. Regardless I need a new switch, which I just ordered from Nick. FYI I do have a grant wheel... Is the answer to grind down the tabs so they're more like an arrow? I had all that clicking noise previous to the destruction.

Attachments

• IMG_5411.jpg
    IMG_5411.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5411 edited.jpg
    IMG_5411 edited.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 61

omureebe

Well I'm slowly learning.... I didn't understand how all this worked and re-reading posts I can see the roll pins (now I get the two black "rolled" pins) have the same effect as the cancel cam, and you replace the pins with the cam. Next step is to replace the broken switch, and swap out the pins for the cam and see if that works fine. If not, maybe I'll have to grind down the plastic arms that historically caught the pins.

Attachments

• Cancel cam and pins.jpg
    Cancel cam and pins.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 68

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
I had better results with the roll pins than the stock cam on a grant wheel adapter. YRMV. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Well I'm slowly learning.... I didn't understand how all this worked and re-reading posts I can see the roll pins (now I get the two black "rolled" pins) have the same effect as the cancel cam, and you replace the pins with the cam. Next step is to replace the broken switch, and swap out the pins for the cam and see if that works fine. If not, maybe I'll have to grind down the plastic arms that historically caught the pins.

If using the roll pins some, if not all the time you need to tweak/ bend the pins to get the roll pin to arm contact clearence just right ..not enough clearence and the arms break premature ..