• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

twin stick a 66 T case

Passauf

What does it actually take (internal and external ) to twin stick a 66 "T" transfer case thx

Terkish

I belive on the "T" shift style transfercase thier isn't any internal modification needed.
Just remove the stock shifter and the link between the shift rails and install the twin stick. The floor shifter hole will have to be modified a little bit to let the twin stick come through and work properly.
Only the "J" shift style needs slight modification for a twin stick.

If i'm wrong i'n sure some one else will chime in.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I belive on the "T" shift style transfercase thier isn't any internal modification needed.
Just remove the stock shifter and the link between the shift rails and install the twin stick. The floor shifter hole will have to be modified a little bit to let the twin stick come through and work properly.
Only the "J" shift style needs slight modification for a twin stick.

If i'm wrong i'n sure some one else will chime in.

On the T-style case it depends on how you want it to shift. The T uses internal interlock rods to prevent the front shift rail from moving into a range until the rear shift rail is already in that range. If you twinstick a T without removing these interlock rods you will have to shift in sequence. Rear range first then front range. When coming out of 4wd you'll need to shift front range to neutral before you can change the rear range. I would hate this as it complicates shifting and doesn't give you any advantage over the original shifter.

Remove the interlock rods and you have complete independant control of both front and rear ranges. This also gives you the ability to drive the front axle only if you need to.

The J-shift case doesn't have the same interlock scheme as the T. It uses the flags on the shift rails to accomplish the interlock. Cut the flags so they move independantly and you get the same result as removing the interlock rods in the T.

Dakota

Loc.
Sunny South Dakota!
So is the removal if the interlock rods a big deal? I must have my "J" and "T" backwards. I have a stock 1966 Dana 20, but I thought it was "J." Anyway, how involved is modifying my Tcase to shift all independent?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
So is the removal if the interlock rods a big deal? I must have my "J" and "T" backwards. I have a stock 1966 Dana 20, but I thought it was "J." Anyway, how involved is modifying my Tcase to shift all independent?

Not too big of a deal. Just need to disassemble the tcase and put it back together without the interlock rods.

The '66 shifter looks similar to the later J shifter but it has the early T style case.