• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Twist lok Hose Fittings with Standard EFI Hose?

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Probably a stupid question but can I use these Russell Tist Lock fitting with standard EFI Hose and install clamps? The directions for the EFI system show other barbed fitting with EFI Hose and EFI Hose clamps.

Attachments

• IMG_2188.jpg
    IMG_2188.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 37

ENDLIFE

That is what I used. For the pressure side, I wanted to be sure I didn't have any hoses blowing off, so I used crimp clamps to make sure they stayed put. It has been running years strong, and I haven't had one leak yet.

Last edited:

67crush

Just did some of the same fittings on my power stroke, they said no clamps, But if you insisted put a tie wrap between barbs. Just finished FItech on the Bronco today, and used FI hose clamps on those. Your not supposed to use clamps at all, they say clamps crush hoe on high points of barbs and create leaks.

ENDLIFE

I decided to use the Oetiker pinch/crimp clamps on the hose from years of working with boat cronies and racing guys. From what I learned is you can use the fuel injection clamps or the pinch clamps to better secure the high-pressure hose, but using the screw clamps was a big no no.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Probably a stupid question but can I use these Russell Tist Lock fitting with standard EFI Hose and install clamps? The directions for the EFI system show other barbed fitting with EFI Hose and EFI Hose clamps.

It will probably work and be fine, but it's not really the best idea. Having a hose come loose under the hood would lead to big problems...

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
It is the width of the clamp, not the clamp type that is the problem. The issue with that type of hose end is if the clamp does not fit down between the barbs with enough gap it WILL cut the hose liner. Not can, WILL. Once that happens the hose end to hose junction will leak.

Those fittings are designed to work, with the correct hose, and not need any clamp at all. I've done it! It does work this way. Most of the hoses made for those fittings are rated to 250 psi, and that is WITHOUT a hose clamp!

If you really feel the need for "belt & suspenders" instead of a hose clamp, place a Thomas & Betts (ONLY!!) tye-wrap over the hose, but between the barbs. Pull it up just to snug, not tight. The goal is to pull the hose down between the barbs and make it much harder for the hose to pull off.

66BlueGoose

Contributor
It's best to get the fittings and the hose from the same supplier and then follow the intended application. The hose is designed to work with a specific fitting and vice versa. Mixing and matching might work but often leads to failure. And yes, there are several systems designed to be used with several hundred psi and no clamps. Follow the application based on fluid type, nominal pressure and peak pressure.