• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Typical cost for custom driveshaft?

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
I know they can be purchased from vendors for around $275 with shipping etc., but what should I expect to pay for a custom rear shaft built to the specifications of my Bronco? It's currently at Front Range Driveline in Englewood Colorado having this done. Thanks.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd expect a similar price. but most likely higher. I had a driveshaft resplined once and it cost me almost as much as a new driveshaft from one of the venders would have cost and the new driveshaft comes with new Ujoints.

Zillacon

Loc.
Hackin Away!
I have all mine built by Dave at Drive Shaft Doctors just 1 block south of the Grizzly Rose. Best guy around and super picky. New custom shafts are about $200-$300 depending if you want a CV shaft or not. I think I paid $275 for a custom CV shaft.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I've had a couple built here in Phoenix (Edit: from scratch, to my specs). Longer splines, Spicer u-joints, etc. for around $250

70_Steve

Old Guy
Steve, does that driveshaft utilize that blue shit on the splines or is it metal on metal?

ben
Which Steve??:cool:

The one I had build local has blue shit on the splines, but has held up so far (2 years). I will assume because of the longer splines.

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
I just bought and installed front and back from Carolina Driveshaft. The custom built it to my specs and measurements, new heavy duty u joints and slip yokes. The tubes themselves are thicker\stronger than stock but not the heavy duty and it was 188 per driveshaft, built, balanced etc. They also offer the heavy duty if you plan on doing crazy offroad stuff and i think the price was 230 per shaft or something like that. Shipping for both together was 30 bucks and they fit perfect and drive smooth.

Here is their site. http://carolinadriveline.com/uploads/Default.asp?Category=103

I highly recommend them as they were also highly recommended to me. Heres a pic as well.

Attachments

• IMG_3904.jpg
    IMG_3904.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 58

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
...who is Frank...?
The owner of the '75 EB eB that I built.

...where did he find a brand new spicer driveshaft for $200?
At the address shown on the sticker in that 1st pic. %) But I'm not sure about that price. I can axe him... ;D
Steve, does that driveshaft utilize that blue shit on the splines or is it metal on metal?
I didn't pull the new one apart to check, but the OLD one has the blue crap. It's covered in black grease, but it's in there.

Oatmeal

ben
They call it "glide coat".....not a big fan of the stuff because, if you're not good about maintenance it wears off and gets sloppy. When I bought my Bronco (about 23 years ago) that was the case. My local driveshaft guy (he's sort of like the "soup nazi" on Seinfeld:eek:) built a new one from scratch and used a combination of the splined end of a big truck slip yoke (no glide coat), that he machined to fit the tubing, and the original slip yoke for under $200 but, that was quite a while back and it's still holding up after several years and thousands of on/off road miles. I won't go to anybody else but him. He's been building shafts for me and all my buddies for over 20 yrs now--------Hans