• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

under body paint??

Tdels14

Been a member for a while and dont post much, but I'm on here 3-5 times a day reading/researching everyone's knowledge on our EB's. Thank you to all for the wealth of knowledge you share, I have gotten this far because of the people on this site. I am currently doing the paint/body work on my bronco and am having a tough time deciding if I should paint the underside of the bronco the body color, (Aqua Reef Blue), or black with undercoating? I have been trying to find pictures of broncos that are painted underneath with the body color but havent been able to find a lot of pics. This will be my street queen when done on the dry days and parked in the garage during the winter. Anyone have any pics with the underside of theirs painted the body color? Thank you!

69broncofun

Bronco Guru
Been a member for a while and dont post much, but I'm on here 3-5 times a day reading/researching everyone's knowledge on our EB's. Thank you to all for the wealth of knowledge you share, I have gotten this far because of the people on this site. I am currently doing the paint/body work on my bronco and am having a tough time deciding if I should paint the underside of the bronco the body color, (Aqua Reef Blue), or black with undercoating? I have been trying to find pictures of broncos that are painted underneath with the body color but havent been able to find a lot of pics. This will be my street queen when done on the dry days and parked in the garage during the winter. Anyone have any pics with the underside of theirs painted the body color? Thank you!

Sorry don't have any pics but I am sure someone will chime in.

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
I don't see a reason *not* to paint it the body color. Then you can take your time on whether you want to undercoat it.

That said, I'm partial to the red oxide primer that was used by the factory.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I plan to go with the same color underneath as I will on the outside. I feel I am somewhat good at priming and painting underneath. I feel it's a step up vs using a semi black.

DKBronco

Here are a couple of pics from my build - not the best angle for underneath, but it's all I have currently. I like the look of the under being the same color as the body. It also makes it a lot "brighter" under there to see everything and spot problems.

Attachments

• IMG_8026.jpg
    IMG_8026.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_8032.jpg
    IMG_8032.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 209

gotdads68

DKBronco, looks great, is that tinted Raptorliner or painted after application?

OP
OP
T

Tdels14

DKBronco - That looks awesome. Thank you for the pic. Very, very clean....

Germd

Here are a couple of pics from my build - not the best angle for underneath, but it's all I have currently. I like the look of the under being the same color as the body. It also makes it a lot "brighter" under there to see everything and spot problems.

^^^this^^^
Mine will forever be a resto mod, so not so concerned about being "correct" vs long term protection. Can paint be applied over the red oxide and would it provide any additional corrosion protection -vs- other modern underbody primers?

OP
OP
T

Tdels14

It is paint over Lizard Skin. The Lizard Skin has a texture to it similar to bedliner material.

Thats a good idea, I didnt think about doing a protective coating with paint on top, always thought one or the other....

Jaxgtc

I began eradicating the tar undercoating to find a pretty nice original paint underneath. For my 75, the underside is painted the body color, as depicted by the wheel well photo here.

For looks, it is great, if you need practicality, something protective might be in order. Good luck.

tmacstickman

I began eradicating the tar undercoating to find a pretty nice original paint underneath. For my 75, the underside is painted the body color, as depicted by the wheel well photo here.

For looks, it is great, if you need practicality, something protective might be in order. Good luck.

WoW! That is clean. Please share what you used to get those results

NC_Pinz

What is you are not planning on removing the body during body work and paint? Would you just focus on the wheel wells with body color paint?

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had the same debate but in the end, decided to have the underneath painted body color.

Attachments

• IMG_8844.jpg
    IMG_8844.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 148

tabyers

Loc.
Indiana
I'm going through the same deal. It's inbelievable how many options and pros and cons there are to each of them. The lizard skin sounds like it has some real plus sides but I'm trying to avoid textures. It sounds like you're going to keep it clean enough that undercoating may not be a must.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
A lighter color will make it brighter to work under the Bronco, so black may not be the best option.

Joe473

I'm not a fan of the bedliner and other stuff. Hides a lot that and may hurt resale. I have also seen it hide new rust until it's too late. I cleaned mine up. Sprayed KBS and then scuffed and sprayed black chassis paint.

30015118e7fe48316635b34dbd36e7f7.jpg

6937a484145cd23940316e943d7b55be.jpg

a35b34ccb857d77d504fceb13ce9cda0.jpg

c3199ca0c57baa3f815cdaaf24ee7bd4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

tabyers

Loc.
Indiana
Seems to be a movement in that direction. I talked to one of the builders on the phone yesterday and his point of view seemed to be that no matter how hard you are on it, after this kind of investment, there's no way it's going to see the kind of abuse and neglect it was shown for the first 40 years. I like the thought of being better able to monitor what's happening and touching up as needed. But I still don't know anything and my truck is still a rust bucket so...it's just a theory.