• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Universal Tilt Steering Column?

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm still buying parts for my redo on my 71, wiring harness, Dakota VHX, etc. and been shopping for a new steering column. I see WH has them, but in order to save some $$, I see JEGS offers up a universal column https://www.amazon.com/JEGS-70461-U...10c9c&pd_rd_wg=2TU19&pd_rd_i=B073Q1C2WB&psc=1

Does anyone know the preferred length for our Broncos? Thoughts are to remove mounting bracket and reweld on new column...

A couple different vendors sell columns set up for these Broncos. Some offer them almost completely plug and play, others you still have to buy additional parts regarding wiring, horn button, etc.... I went with one of the vendors here for peace of mind. I'd rather spend a little more up front and not have to worry about all the other misc. parts that I didn't know I needed.;D

That being said, my column was from IDidit and that part # 1990410110. I had to order a few different things to make it work, and I still have to switch around the bronco wiring at the column.

Another thing in regards to mounting the column, most of the vendors here also sell an adapter bracket that replaces the weld on bracket for column's like the one you linked. https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Under_dash_mounting_kit/Bronco_Tilt_Columns

Oh, and don't forget you have to connect it to your existing steering shaft. Those connections can be a bit expensive too....

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hazegray

I already have the aftermarket lower steering shaft when I did my power steering conversion and the wiring kit is already setup for the cheby side of the house so I should be covered there. I figured the money saved should cover the steering wheel adapter and the wheel itself. $1k for a complete column kit is hard to swallow :(

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The direct fit Ididit columns work well. The cheaper eBay ones I am not sure are a direct bolt in.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I did one and wound up buying a flaming river to replace it. It was crap, would be fine on a garage queen but something that sees much use, especially off-road use just spend the dollars and be money ahead.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I did one and wound up buying a flaming river to replace it. It was crap, would be fine on a garage queen but something that sees much use, especially off-road use just spend the dollars and be money ahead.

I bought one as well and it looked good but was crap, sent it back.

Frankly, you don't want to cheap out on something as critical as a steering component.

If you can find one, you can retrofit one from a junkyard 78-80 F150/Big bronco with tilt, some of the vans also had tilt.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
X2 what Yeller said. I drive mine everyday and I wheel it hard.

Nothing like having a strg component fail because you spent more money on a subwoofer than a quality stg component! lol :(

Priorities...