• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Upgrading 1968 bodged power steering setup to stock-style setup

ColoradoBronc

Hey again ya'll! Here's the deal:

- Reviving and restoring our '68 Bronco. Hasn't run in over 2 decades.
- It has a really hacked-in power steering setup
- Motor is a Mexican/HiPo 302
- I have a donor steering box (and original reservoir if needed). Sent the donor box (which is from a '72 Bronco) off to West Texas Offroad to be rebuilt and resealed.

I'm wanting to know if you all have any advice on:

- is there a bracket, or bracket and pump kit, that will bolt onto the 302? I found this link, and even this one, but unsure if it's precisely what I need or not for bolt-on to this 302. Anyone happen to know?
- regarding mating the existing column's shaft to the new box (see photos, how is this normally done in going from early (non-power steering) to a late (power steering) Bronco? Whole column replacement? Or some kind of double D joint or two? I have the stub of the donor column where it was cut about 12" from the box (which you can partially see in the photos below)

Would love any advice or help - thank you in advance!

Screen-Shot-2023-01-29-at-SundayJanuary-291147AM.jpg

Screen-Shot-2023-01-24-at-TuesdayJanuary-241203PM-3.jpg

Screen-Shot-2023-01-29-at-SundayJanuary-291146AM.jpg

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Yes the above brackets are what you need. Even better would be th Saginaw pump set up. I know wh sells the brackets for it. You can buy the Saginaw pump from on of our vendors or get it local. The Ford pumps tend to whine alot especially with larger tires. As for the soft to the ps box you just need to add a u-joint and cut it the right length.

OP
OP
C

ColoradoBronc

OK awesome! Thank you so much, Steve! I'll probably go with the Sag pump setup. Sounds like with the right box, the pump and bracket, and the soft lines I'll be off to the races. Will see if I can repurpose one or two of the joints on there as needed. Excellent!

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
OK awesome! Thank you so much, Steve! I'll probably go with the Sag pump setup. Sounds like with the right box, the pump and bracket, and the soft lines I'll be off to the races. Will see if I can repurpose one or two of the joints on there as needed. Excellent!
If you go with the Saginaw pump make sure you order the correct bracket

OP
OP
C

ColoradoBronc

If you buy the full kit verify if the hoses will fit your existing box
Good lookin’ out. I’ve got to call them in the morning to ask a. Few other pre-order questions and will double check 👌🏻. Stoked to get this setup working right! Thanks again for your input on this!

OP
OP
C

ColoradoBronc

Update on this - ordered the kit as it sounds like everything's generally a bolt-up application. Stoked to fix this mess!