• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Upgrading pulleys?

PGreenlawMD

Loc.
New Bern
I am in the process of upgrading my 1967 ford bronco with a 1973 351w engine in it.

I have pulled the PS pump and brackets, as well as the alternator and brackets.

Water pump gasket does have some leaks even before removing the brackets which obviously will make it worse. So obviously the water pump needs to be pulled to at least change the gasket.

If I am taking the water pump off, which I feel will involve pulling the radiator, shroud, hoses, fan, etc, what does the forum think about upgrading everything in the front part of the engine? Water pump, hoses, pulleys, etc. The cost is not significant given the length of time this project would take; I would hate to have to pull everything apart in 1-2 years to upgrade to new billet pulleys, etc

Also, is there any harm in putting in pulleys (i.e. 3 groove )that would accommodate air conditioning should I choose to install it in the future. Getting very hot and humid in North Carolina, and having some cool air blowing out next summer might be worthwhile

Thanks for your input

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You have a matched set of pulleys and brackets that have everything aligned. Many wish they could just get that far.

If you are wanting to upgrade just put the serpentine accessory drive off a 5.0 explorer on.

70_Steve

Old Guy
If you are wanting to upgrade just put the serpentine accessory drive off a 5.0 explorer on.
X2. I built my own serpentine brackets to accommodate a York OBA compressor. It was a good upgrade. For you, it sounds like the most straight-forward option is what Tim (Broncobowsher) suggested, and that is to replace the v-belt system with a serpentine system.