• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Vacuum advance vs mechanical advance

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I realize when running a big cam you don't want vacuum advance, but the way we setup our rigs in most cases either will work fine, so I am told. What are the pros and cons of each?

68ford

Bronco Guru
with vacum advance you still have mechanical, vacum is strictly low load advance, give it gas it shuts off, mines plugged off and i run more initial, but if your looking for freeway milleage you should run one.i have a pretty big cam 270duration .500 lift, and i have real good vacum above 1500 under light load so it would still work great on the freeway, i know this because my vacum wipers still work the same with the built motor above 1500.

68ford

Bronco Guru
i shouldnt say it shuts off, but is directly related to throttle, where mechanical is rpm related regardles of load.

jarch

Do you guys run ported or manifold vacuum to the dist? I have ported from the carb, and it doesn't pull any vacuum until the engine revs above 2000 rpms or so. Manifold vacuum pulls all the time under light load......

ransil

Bronco Guru
It should be ported. total advance should not exceed 36 degrees.