• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Valve stem seals.

6bronco6

Im buring oil pretty bad. Very light smoke coming from exhaust, can't really see it unless its raining or headlights shining on it. Im guessing valve seals. Should I bother replacing them? How hard is it? Somethingi can do myself? Im probably going to do my motor over eventually. But it might not be until next year or later, since its not my daily driver.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D Valvs seals are just a lot of time you must have air and take a old spark plug bust out the center and braze a fitting in that fits your air hose. Remove valve cover take all rocker arms off run one cly. to TDC put air in the cly. and remove valve spring remove old valve seal replace put spring back on when both are done run next cly to TDC and do it till all 8 are done its just time and a pain good luck.%) %) %) Bill :cool: %) :p

OP
OP

6bronco6

Sounds like a job for the shop, to me. What will they get for a job like that? I can just imagine. I think i will just keep adding oil, seems to be working.

OP
OP

6bronco6

Yeah, im starting to think that. been driving it like that since i owned it....guess it won't kill me to keep it like that. Been almost 3 years...lol. Maybe it will die soon, so i have no choice but to rebuild or replace.

ROKDWLR

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stockton, Ca.
Mine smoked so bad I had to do it. When I started it in the garage it was hard to see for a few minutes and it stunk pretty bad. If you buy a compression tester, air adapter to connect tester to your compressor, spring compressor for valve springs, valve guide seals, new plugs and valve cover gaskets it should run less than $100. A search here will give you instructions to do the job in a few hours. I still have a tired 302 but it doesn't smoke at all. The pile of black things in this picture are the old seals. Only 2 out of 16 were intact. I think it was a good learing experience.

Attachments

• 1975 bronco before pictures 038.jpg
    1975 bronco before pictures 038.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 98

73 toy

Loc.
Leavenworth,wa
I have the same problem, my engine only has about 5000 miles, but I got it real hot a few times prior to installing a better radiator. Mine only smokes for a second when you start it tho. Are they just a rubber seal that deteriates over time? I guess that's next on my list..

ROKDWLR

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stockton, Ca.
If it clears up after you starting it sounds like the seals. I've never heard of them going in 5k but I've never been mistaken for a mechanic. The parts I removed were cooked hard as rock and broken. The new ones were very soft.

72_EB

66to77
I did mine when I had the heads pulled to do head gaskets. Borrowed a spring compressor and did them that way. Really easy if the heads are off, otherwise I've heard of doing it with compressed air in and a lever, but never tried it personally.
You can get the lever at Napa for like $15 bucks, seals are cheap, and probably find all the air line fittings at the hardware store.
Good luck.

One thing that might be a trick for you is adjusting the valves afterwards. My '73 302 has positive stop rocker nuts so you can't go wrong. The earlier V8s require a special lifter compressor tool, but you might be able to get by counting the turns and adjusting by sound later, but don't quote me on that. ;)