• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

vent window - top pivot problem

backpain

Bronco Guru
I didn't find anything in the archives on this part, but I could be blind. I don't have the typical problem with the bottom pivot. Instead, the top (at mid window leading edge) bracket is broken.

I have late model EB door frames (not bolt-on window frames). Of the 2-part bracket that has a riveted pivot point. the door mounted piece (not the window frame mounted piece), is broken. It's still solidly attached to the door frame. The circular part that holds the pivot rivet is broken.

How is this bracket attached to the door? It seems to be inside the glass channel and probably tack welded. How on earth do I get this thing loose without removing the weather strip/gasket and griding it off? I don't even knw if a drill bit will fit in there, and I don't want to screw up the door frame from the outside.

If I open my driver's side vent window it will fall out because there is no top pivot rivet and the door frame mounted part of the bracket is broken so it won't hold a new rivet.

Last edited:

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
doorblowapart.jpg

It looks like you need a new 52720-s. The good news is it appears to be held on by screws, the bad news is there is some disassembly to get to it. It looks like you have to remove 22204 from 22220 to get access. hth.

OP
OP
B

backpain

Bronco Guru
you are a scholar and a gentleman. thanks

now have to figure out where to find the 52720 . . .

Last edited:

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
A little known fact, vendors often have on hand used parts that aren't listed. I would call each and find out if it's going to be that easy. Could be.

mtrdud

Vent Window Part

I need these also. Does anybody know where to get them?

Thanks

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Yep off a 92 to 96 Ford pickup. the pivot is pop riveted on and I always have wondered if the thing would work. Someone want to let us others know.
TOFIC

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
I am attempting to use this part that I found at the local Lowes.

Threaded post with screw.

I just had to sand it down a little to shorten it.

Attachments

• Vent window pin.jpg
    Vent window pin.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Vent window screw.jpg
    Vent window screw.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 33

GloNDark

My driverside top pivot on my 69 was bronco.

While walking around the local pick n pull, I spotted an early 90's ford and yanked the driverside frame and pivot. Once I pryed the frame out, it had 2 phillips screws holding the pivot hinge to the door.

Once I got it home, I drilled out the spot welds on the vent window frame and pulled the piece off. Did the same to the bronco frame. And finally just spot welded the new hinge to the bronco vent frame.

Works great. :D BUT not for the want to keep the chrome crowd.

mtrdud

Solution

I tried that post-screw deal and it was too fragile for me. I kept stripping them and I was afraid they would fail down the road. I just added a post to my original thread. I came up with a solution today. I used a stainless screw, a nylon bushing, brass washer, stainless washer, and a stainless acorn nut. It actually looks pretty good and is strong.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
they are stainless and can be rewelded with stainless rod and polished.
i've done a few that way.i think some of the spot welds weren't too strong.