• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

vinyl paint protector?

jpopsbronco

Loc.
Irvine, CA
just thinking, has anyone ever tried or heard of someone using clear sheets of vinyl to protect their paint from scratches off road? i no it wont stop all of em but the less the better i guess.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
At work we use crash wrap for windsheilds or side windows that are open when storing the vehicle outside. It sticks to the car and it's self and would work great for what your describing. http://www.crashwrap.com/

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
The local Ford store here sells some stuff called "clearbra", I know a few who have it on their trucks. Seams to work ok, just looks a little funny. I am thinking of my cousins '03 Mach I, the clearbra covers about 1/2 of the hood forward, and down over the fenders. I don't know anything about cost or how long it lasts, though.

OP
OP
jpopsbronco

jpopsbronco

Loc.
Irvine, CA
mustang toby ive heard of that my dad uses it on his corvette, i thought about that but its kinda pricey... keep it up though, allenfahey-- that stuff seems really cool, i couldnt find a price on their site but i bet ill get one when i call, i was looking at the heavy duty clear stuff for glass(seems like the right stuff)

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I was going to use the 3m stuff for the bed rails so I didnt scratch them to death when putting the hard top on and off and I didnt want to bedline that high. I think it comes in a 4" tape but it is expensive. I ended up not using it as I was rushed...it would have been worth it. I could see it used on the rockers, etc.

If I ever make mine pretty I plan to get some vinyl magnetic wrap material to put on my panels for going off road. I thought and still do think I may just use the magnetic backed vinyl for everything below the body line, then if I scratch it up I can just replace that section. I did find some magnetic spray paint that would allow it to mount to my fiberglass inserts too.

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
I'm looking at the 3M stuff to cover my & (hopefully) protect the door sills & cage from boot scratches. Don't know how well it would stand up to heavy brush & such on the outside though.