• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Warn 8074 & Bumper - What's it worth?

Junkie

Hello. I did search and found some similar, but prices no longer shown since they were sold. I have warn 8074 (working), controller & bumper installed shortly after original owner purchased my Bronco in 1977. I see people from time-to-time looking for these, but really have no idea what the value might be. Any thoughts? Yes, I will ship but it will be expensive. Thanks
z_bump_1.jpg
Z_bump_2.jpg
Z_bump_3.jpg
z_bump_4.jpg
!

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
I believe you have a 8274. It appears to be a early version with the metal receiver for the remote, you can take your serial number and find the year from Warns website. I would undo the 3 bolts and nuts on the aluminum cover and check the insides. Take a pic or two for prospective buyers. Should have 150' cable from the factory unless it's been shortened.

It may be old enough to have the small round discs for the drum brake, new improved brake kits are available, along with many mod options. The winch with possibly the most parts availability of them all. The are ugly and heavy, but a very good and fast winch.

Prices can be all over the board, I recently picked one up for $120 locally less cable. For my area that was a great deal, normally if I see one it's $400 on up.

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
I agree with GNP. Looks like my 8274 from back in the good ole days. Lot of cable as mentioned and good winches. Never have had any trouble with it.

Attachments

• 8454BC10-2DF1-40D4-9EBD-6DA4550F25C2.jpeg
    8454BC10-2DF1-40D4-9EBD-6DA4550F25C2.jpeg
    207 KB · Views: 26

House

Minutia Militia
What model is stamped onto the top, 8074?
Usually an 8074 doesn’t have the freespool option, but yours clearly does.
Maybe it was converted at some point in it’s life…

OP
OP
J

Junkie

Thanks guys, I will check model this afternoon. I think if it is worth the lower end I would keep it for a possible future project.

papy

Contributor
I just put one on my 79 Bronco last fall and just a few days ago bought a near mint condition one from the mid 80"s for $300

best WARN IMO and is period correct for our EB and early model fords

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Thanks guys, I will check model this afternoon. I think if it is worth the lower end I would keep it for a possible future project.
You will not find a better quality winch for the money. Nor will you find one as easy to fix and find parts for. Remember most everything made today is not made with the same USA parts, labor and pride back when that was built.

They are not as sleek and attractive as new models nor come with wireless, tho it can be added as with many other updates if you decide you need them.

Do yourself a favor and pull the cover off for a quick inspection. Plenty of YouTube videos if you need them.

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
I just paid $700 for a super clean 8274 that recently had the brake rebuilt. No leaks. Works perfectly.

I was happy with that price, but know I probably spent top dollar.

Last edited:

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
They are not as sleek and attractive as new models nor come with wireless, tho it can be added as with many other updates if you decide you need them.
I was looking this morning and found their Hub remote for around 100$ that works with a phone up to 100’. Just plug the hub into the winch connector. pretty cool!

Scott

papy

Contributor
I'm buying everyone that I can that is within an hour drive from residence when they come out on buy and sell. the old ones are the best and are becoming more and more rare and more in demand here in my neck of the woods

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yup great winch!! they run around $2,500 new!! I have one with the slightly smaller Warn bumper set aside for my Bronco camper build.

OP
OP
J

Junkie

Unfortunately, no warn model # stamped in top. This was one of the ones branded with J**p logo. From what I could find, warn does not have records on serial #s for the J**p branded winches.

Z_bump_5.jpg