• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ADMIN Welcome to the new forum software! - List of improvements

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ

Welcome everyone to the new forum software as of 12/9/21!

If you have questions, want to report a bug or missing feature, you can do that over in the Test & Help forum. Also, check out this thread showing where things moved to.

There are several improvements with the new forum software, which I'm pretty excited about. Following is a partial list;

1639028426336.png Photo uploads...
For Contributors who upload photos directly to the forum, there are some really great improvements! You can now copy and paste photos directly into a post! This is HUGE! This can be done from several sources, including a file on your computer, from your phone, a screen shot or an image anywhere on the web. And once the photo is inserted you can now easily adjust the size and alignment, so the text of your posts can now nicely wrap around photos. (example to the left) .

You can also still insert photos the traditional way with the "attach files" button. And now you can select multiple photos at the same time. Phone orientation is also recognized by the forum software, so sideways or upside down photos should no longer be a problem. (and if a few sneak through, I can now rotate photos on the fly) Full size photos also now automatically adjust their width to match the size if your browser window or device screen.

Mobile friendly... 1639028396423.png
Yes, I know. It's about time! Welcome to the 21st century. The forum now works on your phone! It uses a responsive design to adjust to your browser window size. So as your screen increases or decreases in width, the forum display will adjust, rearrange, grow or shrink as needed to stay readable on that small screen. For Contributors photos can also be uploaded directly from your phone into a post.

Enhanced security...
The previous vbulletin software was very out of date and no longer supported. The new XenForo software is much more advanced and regularly updated. It's more secure and does a much better job of keeping out spammers and scammers. And behind the scenes it allows me to upgrade other server software like PHP and MySQL. This means improved server speed, stability and security.

Improved search...
By default the search features are better, but there's also an option enhanced search that I will be installing once the dust has settled from the forum upgrade. That enhanced search will let you search for shorter words and provide more relevant results.

Similar threads...
When you start writing a new thread or you read an existing one, you'll now see at the bottom a list of "similar threads". These are past threads that are automatically suggested based on the text of the thread you are starting or viewing. It's a great way to find threads that may already answer the question you're going to ask.

Improved PM's...
PM's are now called "conversations" because they act more as a true back and forth conversation. They are more like texts, with both parts of the conversation kept together and clearly organized chronologically. They can also include multiple people. Others can be added or removed at any point in the conversation.

Drafts automatically saved...
This is good new for anyone who has been frustrated after writing a long post, then not hitting the "submit" button in time. All that work was lost. Now, a draft of your post is autosaved every few seconds. If you don't finish typing your message, and then leave the site, you can still come back and finish. Just start a new thread and your previous draft will be automatically brought in. If you didn't mean to keep the draft simply delete the text and start over.

Better quoting...
Now you can quote just a portion of someone's post by simply highlighting the text you want to quote, then clicking the "reply" button that pops up. No more quoting entire posts, then having to delete all the extra stuff you don't need.

Bookmarks...
You can now bookmark your favorite threads, conversations or photos. This will let you easily access these later. This is in addition to "subscribing" to threads, which remains similar to the old system. (now called "watch" instead of "subscribe")

Last edited:

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
I like it a lot Jon, great work. I just used the drag and drop image into a post, pretty slick. One question, is it me or are the members aviators messed up? Do we need to upload a new one? And my favorite is the LIKE button!

OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
One question, is it me or are the members aviators messed up? Do we need to upload a new one?
Yes. The new forum uses different size avatars, so the old ones may be stretched or blurry.

Click your username in the upper right, then click your avatar. There you can upload a new one or pick from some stock avatars.

OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Did all of our old PMs disappear?
They shouldn't have. Mine are all still there. Click the envelope icon near the top right and then "show all" at the bottom of that popup window.

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looking good...I think, still getting used to it!

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
Thanks for the work you do.

So, if it's optimized for mobile and tablets, I'm thinking I can do away with Tapatalk? I'd be good with that, it was just better for the small screens,
So Tapatalk doesn't work anymore? I tired using it and just spins. Didn't know....

TNcowboy

One change that is not cool is that there is no option to go to the last page of a thread from the topic list like there used to be unless I'm missing something

OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
One change that is not cool is that there is no option to go to the last page of a thread from the topic list like there used to be unless I'm missing something
It's there. Maybe not as obvious as in the old forum.

On the overall list of threads click the last number for the last page:

1639107568554.png

If you're in an individual thread click the same number, but at the top left:

1639107608178.png

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.

If you are using a phone your screen options might be a little different. I know mine is. The screen Jon showed doesn't come up on my phone but does on my computer.

At the bottom of the page it shows numbers click there and type in the page number that you want to go to. Easy enough that even I can do it. This new format after you play with it a little you will find how easy many things have become. Yes you will feel lost at times, it gets easier. It is a great new format.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hi pages seem brighter but in my case the forum view does not fill the window, I have at least two inches of black on right and left side inside the window it used to fill the window completely. ideas?

OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
in my case the forum view does not fill the window, ideas?
It will only stretch so far. If your screen is wider than the forum max width it will show black bars on both sides.

1639116901592.png

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That is exactly what I see. Old version filled the window. It just makes it seem like everything is mushed together? Take my avatar photo of the 73 grabber blue to left of this post it seems mushed together? I am using chrome and checked settings, running view at 100%.

I could swear old version or other forums had or has a way to "fill screen/window"?

OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I could swear old version or other forums had or has a way to "fill screen/window"?
Correct. The old forum would fill the screen width 100%

Take my avatar photo of the 73 grabber blue to left of this post it seems mushed together?
The avatar issue is because the new forum uses a larger avatar, so your original one is being stretched from a smaller size. More info on how to reset your avatar here:

TNcowboy

If you are using a phone your screen options might be a little different. I know mine is. The screen Jon showed doesn't come up on my phone but does on my computer.

At the bottom of the page it shows numbers click there and type in the page number that you want to go to. Easy enough that even I can do it. This new format after you play with it a little you will find how easy many things have become. Yes you will feel lost at times, it gets easier. It is a great new format.
That's what it was. Didn't show up on the phone but the iPad has the pages
Thanks