• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Were 96-98 explorer cam sensor 3 wire and 99-01 2 wire?

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had a harness done by efi guy and while it was gone ordered a cam sensor from Price motorsports.

The Price sensor is 3 wire and looks like my 99 harness is 2 wire.

What's the work around here? I'm wondering if a 99 explorer sensor will screw directly to the one I have.

Attachments

• 20220813_191054.jpg
    20220813_191054.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220813_191044.jpg
    20220813_191044.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 4

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
It has been a long while, but from what I remember from another post here, the cam sensor body is the same throughout the years and the sensor can be swapped... Sorry I can't be more definitive.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
The one on the left is a Hall effect sensor, which Ford used up until 1998 or so. The one on the right is a variable reluctance sensor. They aren't interchangeable, and the cam synchronizers that they mate to are different as well.

I used to have one of each (sensor and synchronizer) lying around for show and tell purposes, but they vanished long ago.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
More.. If you look down on top of the synchronizer with the sensor removed, the Hall effect type has a half moon shaped tab on top of the shaft. The VR type has a narrow flag on it, maybe 3/16" wide. They also require different alignment tools.

Does Price only sell their synchronizer as a Hall type? If so, you'll have to modify your harness, and possibly get a different ECU, so you can run the older style.

OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This is terrible news, I will call Price in morning and see what to do.

OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If Price doesn’t have a 2 wire version there is another way. Pretty straightforward.
I have the adapter for the ford V6 one I got from EFIGUY.

But decided to splurge on the Price one while I waited for the harness.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I have the adapter for the ford V6 one I got from EFIGUY.

But decided to splurge on the Price one while I waited for the harness.
If you have the adapter, you can get a Motorcraft DA2091 cam synchronizer from Rockauto.com for about 120 bucks (application is 2000 Windstar with 3.8 liter V8). Also an oil pump driveshaft from a 70's 400 V8. Melling IS-84A will do it. Summit carries it for 10 bucks. What I like about using those is that even though they weren't originally small block Ford parts, they are still readily available off the shelf Ford parts. If you have the two pin cam position sensor it fits the Windstar synchronizer. All of which are running my 408 just fine.

OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you have the adapter, you can get a Motorcraft DA2091 cam synchronizer from Rockauto.com for about 120 bucks (application is 2000 Windstar with 3.8 liter V8). Also an oil pump driveshaft from a 70's 400 V8. Melling IS-84A will do it. Summit carries it for 10 bucks. What I like about using those is that even though they weren't originally small block Ford parts, they are still readily available off the shelf Ford parts. If you have the two pin cam position sensor it fits the Windstar synchronizer. All of which are running my 408 just fine.
Can I pull the oil pump shaft from the distributor hole to switch to the longer melling one?

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Can I pull the oil pump shaft from the distributor hole to switch to the longer melling one?
Annoyingly, probably not if the driveshaft in there now still has the little spring steel retainer clip on it. It's there to prevent the shaft from accidentally coming out if you remove the distributor (or cam synchronizer) then dropping down into the oil pan. And ask me how much I love dropping the pan on my Bronco with the engine in place :mad: That said, I've done it. Not the end of the world. My current one is glued into the oil pump with silicone sealer. If I need to, I can pull the shaft out the top with long needle nose pliers, while not breathing in case I get hand shakes and drop it :rolleyes:

OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Annoyingly, probably not if the driveshaft in there now still has the little spring steel retainer clip on it. It's there to prevent the shaft from accidentally coming out if you remove the distributor (or cam synchronizer) then dropping down into the oil pan. And ask me how much I love dropping the pan on my Bronco with the engine in place :mad: That said, I've done it. Not the end of the world. My current one is glued into the oil pump with silicone sealer. If I need to, I can pull the shaft out the top with long needle nose pliers, while not breathing in case I get hand shakes and drop it :rolleyes:
I didn't think so, I so hope Price has a simple option, I really dont want to pull this engine out

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Thank you Lars, I learned a lot from your posts and I stand corrected. Memory is a tricky thing as you age...

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I didn't think so, I so hope Price has a simple option, I really dont want to pull this engine out
Is this in your pickup? It's possible to remove the pan from an early Bronco, even with a 351W, even with a Canton deep sump pan, without pulling the engine. Ask me how I know...

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Thank you Lars, I learned a lot from your posts and I stand corrected. Memory is a tricky thing as you age...
Just sharing what I know, Doug. I feel sheepish sometime correcting people. In this case that stuff got drilled into me when I was designing the adapter for the Windstar into 351W cam synchronizer. I had a whole pile of cam synchronizers on my desk, and at the time I was also building the harness that I eventually used (and still use) for the EEC-IV EDIS swap, before the Explorer 5.0 reflash option was available. At some point I even had the OTC timing tool for both types, though I can only find my variable reluctance timing tool these days. A good thing, since that's what's on my Bronco.

Speaking of the latter, apparently the A9L doesn't care what type of sensor is used. Or maybe that signal goes into the EEC-IV EDIS module. Now that's been awhile...

OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well I just got off the phone with Price. They said I can send them my current complete cam sensor unit and they will modify the top to accept and the 2 wire will mount up.

They are great people to do business with.