• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What am I getting myself into?

Raven

Loc.
Portland, OR
Hello to you all. First off I have to say its a lot of fun to see all your projects and hear about the things you've been working on.
I recently became interested in early broncos while looking at a friends '69. There is a possibility that I may buy if from him for around $3500. There is no major body damage, no rust, and it runs quite well. He's had it parked in front of his house for a few years, so there is some moss and dirt on it, but nothing that cant be cleaned off.

So now for my questions. What do you think about this deal? am I crazy to be getting myself started in this?

any opinions are welcome! Thanks

huged29

Loc.
Ft Collins, Colorado
The deal doesn't sound too bad, but it really depends what the bronco has. Since it is a 69 it will probably have a dana 30 front axle, which is basically a big paper weight and if you do any offroading you will want to upgrade to a dana 44. You should also check if it has drum or disk brakes up front. They came with drums stock, but someone could have upgraded. As long as the body is rust free and everything seems pretty solid it really isn't too bad of a deal. I would say it is worth around 3000.

I bought my bronco 2 years ago when I was 18 and really didn't know much about cars. Since then I have invested a lot of time and money into my rig and have learned a lot. As long as I have the tools, I can work on anything on my truck now so it is just a matter of getting the experience and the learning. They are pretty simple trucks to work on, basically what you see is what you get, nothing too complicated.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
Welcome, $3500 is not a bad price for a good solid bronco. Post a pic if you can, it helps. If your not hard on the rig, the dana 30,drums and such that was on a 69 is fine. If bigger tires come into play look into disks....if not your ok. Same goes for the D30 and how you abuse it. Dont let the hardcore guy's scare you. Tell us more about the rig if you can.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
I'll tell you what. Post us a adress where it is and tomorrow when you go to look at it , it will be GONE ;D Hows that for is it a good deal ;)

OP
OP
R

Raven

Loc.
Portland, OR
huged29 said:
The deal doesn't sound too bad, but it really depends what the bronco has. Since it is a 69 it will probably have a dana 30 front axle, which is basically a big paper weight and if you do any offroading you will want to upgrade to a dana 44. You should also check if it has drum or disk brakes up front. They came with drums stock, but someone could have upgraded. As long as the body is rust free and everything seems pretty solid it really isn't too bad of a deal. I would say it is worth around 3000.

I bought my bronco 2 years ago when I was 18 and really didn't know much about cars. Since then I have invested a lot of time and money into my rig and have learned a lot. As long as I have the tools, I can work on anything on my truck now so it is just a matter of getting the experience and the learning. They are pretty simple trucks to work on, basically what you see is what you get, nothing too complicated.

This one is pretty much all stock equipment I believe. I'm probably going to go by and talk to him about it later tonight and get more info on it.

OP
OP
R

Raven

Loc.
Portland, OR
Jeepster said:
Welcome, $3500 is not a bad price for a good solid bronco. Post a pic if you can, it helps. If your not hard on the rig, the dana 30,drums and such that was on a 69 is fine. If bigger tires come into play look into disks....if not your ok. Same goes for the D30 and how you abuse it. Dont let the hardcore guy's scare you. Tell us more about the rig if you can.

Thanks for the info. I'll probably get a pic or two tonight when I go talk to him about it. any particular things you'd like a picture of to let me know more about the condition of things?

OP
OP
R

Raven

Loc.
Portland, OR
2badrotties said:
I'll tell you what. Post us a adress where it is and tomorrow when you go to look at it , it will be GONE ;D Hows that for is it a good deal ;)

I figured that I'd get a comment like this %)

8)

OP
OP
R

Raven

Loc.
Portland, OR

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
I live in NW portland and work for Intel here in Hillsboro. I only have seen two others in my area, but they have never stopped. You will love owning an old Bronco. I allways get people commenting on mine and it's still just stock. I drove it just a couple of days ago up to the store and came out and three guys were standing around it that wanted to take a look. This type of thing is very common. Everyone asks if it's for sale.

Drop me a line when you get one and we could hook up. Good luck!8)

OP
OP
R

Raven

Loc.
Portland, OR
Bronco Sport said:
I live in NW portland and work for Intel here in Hillsboro. I only have seen two others in my area, but they have never stopped. You will love owning an old Bronco. I allways get people commenting on mine and it's still just stock. I drove it just a couple of days ago up to the store and came out and three guys were standing around it that wanted to take a look. This type of thing is very common. Everyone asks if it's for sale.

Drop me a line when you get one and we could hook up. Good luck!8)

I'll definately take you up on that.

do you know of any good local places to go offroading?

Alex

Loc.
Indiana
Ya know I still have drum brakes. I went thru them with great care because they were really lousy and pulled all over the road. But now I have to say that I can stop with no hands on the wheel, not that I do but I could... Anyway drum brakes can be made to work well for these light little trucks. I never tow and rarley get over 55 mph. I dont know how long they would stay strong in extream use conditions like sand dune racing or extream downhill navigation on the side of a big rock. But since we dont have any of that here in Indy I suppose drums will have to do.

I have had it mid air once while pulling off the road into my front yard at about35 mph, I decided to NOT use the driveway and there is about a 3 foot drop off. (Wife really hated that )
Nothing bent as far as I can tell. I have thought about upgrading the 30 but until it brakes it will do the job.

My point is if you are goin fishing or trail driving you really dont need much for these little lightweight trucks.

saddlebronc

Loc.
TJ

"What are you getting yourself into?

Alot of fun!"

I second that.........;D :D

Awnrie69

Loc.
Salem, Or
Sandlake in Pacific City is decent place to go for sand. It is fairly small so you can't get lost. The main action is usually at the first bowl. Son O beach is held there every year. It is a realy blast. I think this last year there were over 200 broncos. I know that there are a lot of trails over at Brown's Camp in Tillamook that range from easy to difficult. I was out there about three years ago but was a passanger. I am wanting to go out there, but don't know too many people out here who go wheeling. Down south farther there is always Coos Bay and Florence for sand as well. Planning on checking those places out next summer. Hope that helps

G

g_money

There are some really good trails in Tillimook State Forest and there are always people going out wheeling.

If you join the teh www. broncofix.com mailing list you will find people to go to tillimook with.

You can also join the bushhackers mailing list which is a Portland off roading list. NOt as many bronco owners but I have gone wheeling with some good people from that list as well.

Galen
Vancouver, WA

Tom Dummer

Loc.
Scappoose, Or
I am very new to this list, but I am seasoned to the Tillamook State Forest. Drop me an e-mail anyone and we'll make a day of it.