• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What brand is better duraspark ignition module to get?

marks77

Loc.
B.G.,Ky
I have already searched and can't find specific info and am having problems with keeping my engine running when getting warm; so, I think it may be the ignition module. I have a '77 with a 351w in it and am using the blue grommet module. I put a used one on for a while, so it's probably time to get a new one. My question is, where do you guys get your replacements and what brand? I have noticed there are about 4-5 different brands and I would like the best one for a decent price (@$30). Thanks for your help.

Mark

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I got mine at NAPA I think it is a elcihn or standard not real sure but I havent used it yet the stock one is still working Make sure you stay away from the Brown color coded modules they had some extra wiring that was unneeded and they are not as good as the blue or green modules

OP
OP
M

marks77

Loc.
B.G.,Ky
yeah, I looked those up on the Napa site and it was $80.00, does that sound about right?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Been quite a while since I bought mine but I beleive it was only $12 at the time $80 is way to much buy the cheaper version maybe 2 and carry 1 as a backup. I may not have bought it at NAPA but a store similar But I'm sure it wasnt a autozone type store.

OP
OP
M

marks77

Loc.
B.G.,Ky
Yeah, it seems like $80 is too much to spend on that. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Borg-Warner is good, and they sell those at Pep-Boys. Motorcraft is more expensive but is what I am running. I think I paid about $70 for mine. Not sure of any chain that carries Motorcraft. I would look at an independent parts store to find that.

OP
OP
M

marks77

Loc.
B.G.,Ky
thanks, it's good to hear that the Borg-Warner is good because I was thinking of getting that one. I appreciate the info.

DBrown

Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
the different color connectors indicate they are for a different motor. the 302 and 351 get the blue, not sure what the brown go to I am guessing big block. something about the timing curve being different.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Module

In The Borg Warner Brand There Is One That Is Just A Plain No. With Nothing After It And One That Has An X After The No .the Parts With An X After The No Is A Cheaper Item Than The One Without An X ...at Least Thats The Way It Was Back A Few Years Ago When I Was In The Parts Business....
.............pa Pitt....................
Usa And Import..

jpoore

Loc.
San Jose, CA
I'd stay with the Motorcraft module. I went through three of the Kragen units (Neihoff or something).

They had a warrenty and I got a new one each time, but that didn't cover the tow. Luckily the second time the module blew as I was pulling out of my driveway. They ran very hot and couldn't handle my MSD coil. I went to the P'n'P and got a good unit off a Rnager for ~$20 and it runs at ambient. The Ford units are very reliable as long as you keep them away from engine heat (why the TFI modules fail so often).

As an aside WRT to the above module failure: Optima batteries rock. Mine carried me across four lanes of rainy morning commute traffic and 1/4 mile on the shoulder of 85 using the starter motor.

JP

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
DBrown said:
the different color connectors indicate they are for a different motor. the 302 and 351 get the blue, not sure what the brown go to I am guessing big block. something about the timing curve being different.
Not real sure on your color code idea there as all modules are basically the same no matter what engine size I've seen all the colors on every size engine from 6 cylinder to 460's but they used different color codes on some of the different years as I guess there could be some differenaces but it really doesnt control the timing curve it controls the dwell time and tells the coil to fire. From my understanding the brown one is one that you dont want as it had some other wires that hooked up to some type of emmissions device. The green blue or yellow all work for any application.

OP
OP
M

marks77

Loc.
B.G.,Ky
Thanks for the help guys, I'll be getting the Borg Warner from O'Reillys tomorrow (Blue). Thanks again.