• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What else to Consider since I am at this stage?

joshnjulie1

Loc.
Moreno Valley, Ca
I currently have my front end out being re-done. WIth that being said, I need some advice from those who have been down that road to share what else I should be looking at to replace/repair since I DO have the front end out. Meaning, what other parts around the front end are easier to get to and replace since the front end is out. I was already thinking of shocks, steering stabalizer, and possible springs. What else under there is important to look at and replace since she is up off the ground? I really hate doing things twice and I don't want to beat myself up thinking "damn, I should have done that when I had the front end out."

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Bushings and ball joints. You have to take the axles out of the housing to replace the ball joints, and to pull the axles you have to remove all the outers. As for bushings, it's an ideal time to replace (if necessary) your radius arm bushings, and maybe degree bushings if needed.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
X2 on what's been stated above.

It's a good time to get under there and inspect the frame at the steering box and maybe add some plate. Adding a trackbar riser is also an option if running a lift....

Take it the front axle is getting a "total" rebuild? (gears, bearings, races, seals, etc)

Good time to upgrade to front Disc's..........

Tim

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
C bushings if they've never been done. Inspect drive shaft and CVs. Ball joints if they're not part of the rebuild.

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
do you have a lift?????.......one thing comes to mind is that i wish i would have done my WH trac bar riser while i had my axle out....would have been easier to weld

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Check your rear main seal for leaks. Much easier to drop the pan and replace the main seal and pan gasket without the front pumpkin in the way.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
All of the above and I had my Dana 44 bead blasted. And I reprinted it. If it needs it.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you are going to add a L/S now is the time. Also if you are going to add a lift go ahead and turn the knuckles its not difficult and worth the time. I usually rotate them bout 4* with good results but it will depend on how much caster you have and how much lift you plan on installing, but 4 is a good number because you can run less degree c's and take some caster out if needed.