• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What Size Battery?

MKD

Loc.
Edgewood, NM
I did a search, and I know it must be on the site somewhere, but I'm needing to know what the best size battery is to get for my bone-stock '68, 289, 3-on-the-tree Bronco.

When my dad gave it to me some 6+ years ago, he had just put a new Interstate in it. It's been accidentally drained at least three times and we use the Bronco mainly to negotiate a short, 3/4 mile stretch of muddy/snowy road to get to our cars in the morning and get back home at night. We've had a lot of bad weather this winter so we're doing this routine often, and at night, so the battery hasn't been able to recharge.

Tonight we were going to go out to dinner and it cranked over a couple times and ... nothing. %) No lights, no nothing.

Anyway, I'll get a new battery tomorrow (after we hike out through the snow) but was just wondering what an optimum size would be. I'm not looking to spend hundreds on this, though. Even another Interstate would be fine with me. Thanks for your responses.

Doyle

Bronco Guru
Get the highest cold cranking amp battery that will fit in the battery tray, gives you more reserve.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
X2 I always try to get one with at least 800 cranking amps preferably more. the biggest you can get should do though.

OP
OP
MKD

MKD

Loc.
Edgewood, NM
Thanks for your replies. They were pretty much what I expected and, Astark, thanks for the link. I guess I'll go to SAM's or ***-Mart and get the highest cold cranking amps one there that will fit.

Oh, one question. What does it mean when the battery is said to be rated with "90 minutes reserve"?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
CCA is how big of a punch it can give for a few seconds.
Reserve is how long you can leave the lights on before it is dead. I forget the complete testing procedure but basicly a load is placed on the battery. The time is how long until the battery is too weak.

Some batterys (I know of a dry cell) have great CCA, but little reserve. Spins over a hot rodded moter great, hope it fires right away. Also, don't leave the lights on with the engine off or you won't be able to start it.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I'm an old partsman I think it's 24f is the size and group you want but I'M like the the rest get the biggest one that will fit the tray they last longer...
I liked 800 cca or better...
But I'm an old farmer .so I've got a 1150 dodge diesel battery in mine but it is too big....

kontinu

Loc.
mount holly
I've always bought the biggest battery I could find and fit into my trucks, I have never been let down, you could always get an optima

OP
OP
MKD

MKD

Loc.
Edgewood, NM
"...Reserve is how long you can leave the lights on before it is dead..."

Thanks for the explanation, Broncobowsher. Went to Sam's and got something with a 90 minute reserve.

And thanks again to all responders. Now if the wind will just die down long enough, I can get the thing installed tonight...;)

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
You know ray I have read something about like this artical years ago ...
But it seemed at my store unless it was a diesel ...we didn't need the 1150 amps ones.. but the 800 and my 950 seemed to be really good one ...
In the parts bus I Alway thought you really never knew for the truth if one company measured theirs just like the next company did ...One company 800 might be better than the next 950...But I had heard before that biggest was not always the best...

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
Big problem in the battery industry is the TRUTH. I am very cynical about the whole industry. It also doesnt help though when we took three different testers (Midtronix, Snapon, and MAC) and tested the same battery and got very different results (If I recall about 200-300amps difference). It makes you just shake your head.

Fishmanndotcom

Loc.
senoia, GA
MKD said:
Oh, one question. What does it mean when the battery is said to be rated with "90 minutes reserve"?

ORRRR you could get crazy and give specific tech info!

reserve... number of minutes that a battery can support a 25 amp load at 80*F until its terminal voltage drops to 1.75 volts per cell or 10.5 volts for a 12 volt battery.

CA (MCA)... amount of current a battery can provide at 32 °F. The rating is defined as the number of amperes a lead-acid battery at that temperature can deliver for 30 seconds and maintain at least 1.2 volts per cell or 7.2 volts for a 12 volt battery

CCA... number of amps a battery can support for 30 seconds at a temp of 0*F until the battery voltage drops to 1.20 volts per cell or 7.20 volts for a 12-volt battery.

hope that helps the technical

-cutts-