• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What size cam?

hdfx81

Looking to upgrade cam and lifters in my 73 DD, whats the biggest I can go in stock 302 w/dual exhaust stock manifolds
3 speed and 3:50 gears without doing any head mods? Thanks in advance for any help

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Probably something like this http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM-K3600&autoview=sku

You do realize that you either need to remove the grill or pull the engine to change a cam in a Bronco? there is another option, cut a hole in the grill.

I would call a few cam companys tech lines and ask them the same question. Take there advise over ours. If you narrow it down to a couple of picks, then we can help you choose one over the other. But asking for cam advise on this board is like asking what is your favorite color. You will get all kinds of answers.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Make sure you let the cam manufacturer know if you have pressed in rocker studs. Too much lift will pull them out. I just put in an Edelbrock Performer. It's a good generic grind that really helped the torque. The job wasn't that hard. If you don't have a lot of rust, the front grill can be off in ten minutes. Makes working on the front a whole lot easier.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
The Edelbrock performer package is an easy kit to go with.

Changing cams can become technical if you go bigger, You'll need to match the bottom half of your motor and get the right heads to flow and built with stiffer springs and bolt in studs.

I could recommend the Crower Baja Beast or the Hydraulic Hauler cams but with these you'll need better heads than stock.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
As was said call a couple of cam companies(crane, comp ect.). Do not get the biggest they suggest. Dont even ask for the biggest one. You will get a cam that may sound good but perform very poorly in a 73 bronco. Look at the specs of a Edelbrock performer cam you should be close to that. Many people use that cam and really like it. Is it the best choice? it depends on your needs. When you call a cam company be ready to tell them your vehicle specs and what your using the vehicle for most DD's see hiway speed so if your looking for good hiway cruise power let them know.
I'd also consider upgrading your exhuast system, recurving the dist and make sure your jetting is correct to get full benifit from the cam swap.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
%) %) %) For the best luck call the cam co. that you want to run and tell them what you have and what you would like and they can set you up with the right cam. But as it is stock a RV would be about it.;D ;D ;D Bill %) :cool: ;D

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When you call, don't forget to have your tire size handy.

I also agree with don't go big on a cam, go with what you need. talk to the cam folks, they'll help you.

I am also favoring the Edelbrock performer cam..

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Little story of picking cams...

Few years ago I was putting together another engine. Decided that I have put together enough engines I know what I am doing. Researched the cams on my own. Lift, duration, overlap, centerline, all that stuff. Made a educated selection. It was horrible. It was a jeckle and hyde cam. 2-stroke dirt bike. nothing then everything, black and white.

So while replacing the rear main seal which I did not get right I decided on another cam. This time I called every cam company I could find. Took everyones advise, piled it together and got a slightly different cam. I mean slightly different, don't remember the exact differences, but I know I picked up a lot more lift and changed the duration numbers a degree or two here and there. Whole different engine. Still has a big cam idle, but diesn't stall when dropped into gear. before I could pull away from a stop sign at half throttle in the rain and not worry. Now I have low end and that would result in a smoke show in the dry.

Cam company advise is good.:)