• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

what temp is considered running too hot on an analog guage?

SP66

Bronco Guru
Down in south Florida and it's still hot.

What would you expect the guage to be running?---always seems close to the end.

stroked 302

Last edited:

BRONCOBERT

What is the motor stroked to 331 or 347? Mine is stroked to 331 with out any over heating problems. I was told not to over boar as over heating might be a problem. These old motors seem to be happy between 170 and 190. They don't like to get as hot as modern cars do at 210.

OP
OP
S

SP66

Bronco Guru
What is the motor stroked to 331 or 347? Mine is stroked to 331 with out any over heating problems. I was told not to over boar as over heating might be a problem. These old motors seem to be happy between 170 and 190. They don't like to get as hot as modern cars do at 210.

stroked to 347 and overheated once first time I left it in the driveway idling--no problem over first 200 miles but definitely always running over 210

BRONCOBERT

I have done a lot of trouble shooting with other cars over heating. It could be lots of things, and as simple as an air lock in the cooling system. The problem on one car I had was the pulley was a performance pulley system, so at idle not much water was circulating and the car would over heat but at cruising speeds would drop to 170

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
You should be running around 180-190. I have never heard that stroking a motor may lead to over heating problems. Boring a motor over .030 may lead to over heating problems as the walls of the cylinders become too thin after .030.

My motor is the original block and is bored .030 over with no over heating problems.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The stock gauges are not known for the greatest accuracy. Where ever it normally points to (regardless of number) is normal. When it reads higher then normal, it is running hotter.

If you have an accurate gauge, 180 is about as cold as you should run. 200 is nothing to worry about. 220 is time to back off a little and pay attention. 235 is when I start looking for a place to let it cool. When you get them this hot it is generally better to open the hood, nuetral, fast idle for a few minutes unless there is an obvious problem (missing belt, spewing water, etc.). Circulating water at a fast idle cools better then just shutting the engine off.

OP
OP
S

SP66

Bronco Guru
The stock gauges are not known for the greatest accuracy. Where ever it normally points to (regardless of number) is normal. When it reads higher then normal, it is running hotter.

If you have an accurate gauge, 180 is about as cold as you should run. 200 is nothing to worry about. 220 is time to back off a little and pay attention. 235 is when I start looking for a place to let it cool. When you get them this hot it is generally better to open the hood, nuetral, fast idle for a few minutes unless there is an obvious problem (missing belt, spewing water, etc.). Circulating water at a fast idle cools better then just shutting the engine off.

Thank you

patterdale

Bronco Guru
I'd say get a temp. gun and see what it is actually running at before you get too crazy on changing things. The stock guage is adjustable I believe. And what Broncobowsher said idle it down don't just shut it off.