• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What the heck is this?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Gonna need more than 2 seconds:) How about just a pic, i think you are showing voltage regulator, coil, starter relay.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
What exactly is the problem you're having? The video shows a very noisy engine that seems to run ruff and then stops. Did you kill the ignition or is the engine unable to idle?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
To post pictures directly to the discussion thread you need to be a contributor for 12 bucks a year. In the meantime you can add some to your "Gallery" and "Garage" functions in the User CP above.
Or like some do, use an online hosting site like SuperMotors if you're going to be posting pics across the internet to various other sites.

First of all, normally the voltage regulator would not cause the engine to run rough. But in your case, it's not even bolted down or completely connected, so you should NOT be running the engine until you bolt that thing down.
Second, nothing should be touching the business end of the ignition coil where the HT lead comes out, because under some circumstances it could be jumping spark to ground, which would indeed cause your engine to run like crapola.
Third, your coil should not really be mounted there, but that's not really the end of the world with a well manufactured coil.

We need a pic of your alternator. Perhaps it was converted to an internally regulated version and the external voltage regulator is no longer needed. We can tell at a glance (usually) what alternator you have.
If it still needs the external regulator, you can fry them by applying power before it's grounded. If you're going to have that problem, it's probably already happened.

Hard to tell even from the video, but it looks like you're having a fueling issue because I could see the throttle lever moving and nothing happening until just before the video cut off and you were able to rev the engine.
Kind of like the choke is closing too far, then opening up just enough for it to run. But by the picture from that far away, it does look like the choke is partially open still. So that might not be the issue.
But if your "fueling issue" is really an ignition issue (they get mixed up a lot) then we're not sure yet until more testing is done.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did it always run like this, or did it just start?

Paul

OP
OP
boogie

boogie

Loc.
Lafayette La
This is my alternator

Attachments

• FEB33285-0CDD-4658-93CA-122F1D29EAD8.jpeg
    FEB33285-0CDD-4658-93CA-122F1D29EAD8.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 38
  • F15D34D7-ED81-4295-B59F-DC534893BFF4.jpg
    F15D34D7-ED81-4295-B59F-DC534893BFF4.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
boogie

boogie

Loc.
Lafayette La
This is where it was mounted. I just took it off to look at it I put it back on

Attachments

• 26C8662E-5359-4165-AA7C-EED939A663CE.jpg
    26C8662E-5359-4165-AA7C-EED939A663CE.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 52
  • C38BC0DF-C182-4F28-B581-4EDEB7BA04DC.jpg
    C38BC0DF-C182-4F28-B581-4EDEB7BA04DC.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
boogie

boogie

Loc.
Lafayette La
Thanks for the help btw I appreciate it. It’s eating my lunch lol I’m going to get a new alt tomorrow because it is making noise. That my be my problem idk the motor is new but I have yet to get it to start ez it runs ok once it warmed up a bit

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ok great. The pics are very helpful.
Standard Ford "1G" (first generation) alternator. Unknown output, but usually in the 55 to 65 amp range. Originals were anywhere from 38 to about 55 if I remember.

What kind of noise is it making? Like a rattle such as a worn out bearing would make? Or a squealing like a slipping belt?
A slipping belt could be due to the alternator working. Perhaps working too hard to charge either a low battery, or the regulator is telling it to charge too much.
If you got it running you could measure the voltage at the battery to see if it's reading just 14.5v (which is good) or more like 16-17v (which would be bad) or so.

It's a great looking engine compartment by the way!
Is the engine a full crate motor, or was the original rebuilt? If rebuilt, did you get the chance to break-in the camshaft first? I hope so, because that's a critical first startup which it sounds like you did not have yet.

If it runs better when warmed up, that is also a possible carburetor issue.
When it's cold the next time, push the throttle by hand and watch the choke butterfly close. See if it closes all the way, then when you start to crank the engine it should open up a specified amount. That amount is to let it actually run smoothly and not so closed off as to literally choke off the air coming in.

Paul

OP
OP
boogie

boogie

Loc.
Lafayette La
Thanks It sounds like a Bearing going out to me and the battery is old so I may just pick up a new one while I,m there. The motor is a newer roller crate motor.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
As I said, the engine is very noisy. Are you saying that's all or mostly from the alternator? The video doesn't reveal much about what your problem may be. The engine compartment looks to be recently restored is that true? You're video proved the engine runs even if poorly so you have to be getting a spark. The voltage regulator isn't needed for the engine to run and run well. If there's enough juice in the battery to start the engine, there will be enough to keep it running. Unfortunately you still haven't articulated what your problem is.

OP
OP
boogie

boogie

Loc.
Lafayette La
Every time I start it it stumbles for a short time before it starts up. It seems like its not getting enough spark at 1st. I may pick up one of those ignition box things

frenchy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Whats your timing set at? If off even a little it would start hard or have a laps during starting. If its a roller crate it might have the newer firing order and would require a a different timing number maybe. What for carb is it? Are the jets adjusted correctly?
Just putting out some suggestions.

frenchy

jckkys

Bronco Guru
If the spark is weak it would be apparent when the engine is under a load. Have you driven it? Start up roughness is usually a choke issue.

OP
OP
boogie

boogie

Loc.
Lafayette La
Took my Alternator to autozone today and they tested it and the guy said it was bad so I bought a new one and installed it this afternoon and it fixed the problem. Cranked right up! Crazy I have been fighting this for a few moths. I would not have thought the Bad alternator would cause that. Thanks for the help!

Jedhead

Glad to hear you got it figured out! My first guess with the problems may of been the Jeep parked next to it, but that's just me! Travel safely and enjoy!